Disc Brake Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
If it were me I'd replace the caliper which should come with new pads and then I'd scrub the rotor within an inch of it's life.

The primary concern I'd have is that the seal around the piston wasn't seated properly - I'd probably take it apart and try and rebuild it at some point, but that would be something for later. Secondly if the piston has come out then the whole system could need a full drain and rebleed, if there is any water or other contaminants in the fluid that will impact on braking.

Reactions: C R

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Secondly if the piston has come out then the whole system could need a full drain and rebleed, if there is any water or other contaminants in the fluid that will impact on braking.
I was thinking that too!

I had to bleed the brakes on my MTB last year. I had never done it before but some helpful videos on YouTube showed how, and it didn't take me long.

Sloth

Not sure if you're commenting on my post or not, but the guy did supposedly drain and bleed etc. when he did it.
I reckon that despite what he says the calliper seal was off, thus even a small bit of leakage causing issues?

Gwylan

Veteran
I'd also add Noah and Theo Ceramic Pads, I've had a lot of success with these over the last couple of years. The N&T Resin pads are also quite good and quiet, but they wear out quickly as I'm a fairly big guy.

I have squeaky N&T pads.
Something else I don't understand.

Gwylan

Veteran
What is in the cleaner?
My options, CTC, Meths, Acetone. Could use white spirit or that funny yellow stuff you wash paint with before painting.
I know, I've forgotten something celse.

Gwylan

Veteran
What is in the cleaner?
My options, CTC, Meths, Acetone. Could use white spirit or that funny yellow stuff you wash paint with before painting.
I know, I've forgotten something celse.
Which is usually Isopropyl Alcohol. Halfords will have some in their bike section, it's not expensive.

Thank you, I have IPA. No, not India pale ale! I even had it when it was known as isopropanol.
So I don't need to buy brake cleaner

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not sure if you're commenting on my post or not, but the guy did supposedly drain and bleed etc. when he did it.
I reckon that despite what he says the calliper seal was off, thus even a small bit of leakage causing issues?

Even a tiny bit of oil will damage the pad. Had this issue with MrsF's SLX brakes. Thoroughly cleaned, new pads etc. It would be fine for a while, then start to lose braking power on front. Clean, and sand pads and discs, fine again, then stop. On careful inspection there was some oil escape (tiny tiny amount) from where the hose is bolted to the calliper. Nipped up tight, binned the pads and recleaned disc. Been fine since.

Top Bottom