Disc Brake Squeak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam2008

Hello everyone!
I got a Giant XTC 3 a few weeks ago and have the most annoying squeaky brakes. Does anyone know why they are squeaking and if so what can I do about it? I guess I don't oil them up :blush: ?
Thanks everyone!

simon_brooke

Clean them with alcohol - meths is good and so is isopropyl but I've used vodka before now and it's been fine.

Very small amounts of grease on the disk is what causes the squeak; you need to get rid of all of it. If the first alcohol clean doesn't work then your pads are probably contaminated too - get them out and clean them.

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Thanks for the advice... I work away a lot and thought I was going last week so when I sprayed them with WD to prevent them rusting it probably wasn't a good idea...
I'll clean them right away!

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Just cleaned them and it worked a treat... Thanks again! Just one thing... I didn't have any Vodka so had to use my 12 year old single malt Glenfiddich! All for a good cause!

Cubist

Still wavin'
adam2008 said:
Just cleaned them and it worked a treat... Thanks again! Just one thing... I didn't have any Vodka so had to use my 12 year old single malt Glenfiddich! All for a good cause!
Glenfiddich?:ohmy:

Now you've started a "Which Malt do we prefer for brake cleaning" thread. I'd have used Talisker myself.........too high a peat content in the Glenfiddich:biggrin::biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
this one, surely as it has a higher alcohol content. But like all whisky it is only fit for brake cleaning anyway. Whiskey on the other hand is a drink of the gods.

You used a 12 year old Glenfiddich to clean rotors?
Why not a 50 year old Single Malt?

Glen, you prefer Irish Whiskey to Scottish Malt Whisky?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Berger and Chips said:
Glen, (sic) you prefer Irish Whiskey to Scottish Malt Whisky?

Sure do. Grandparents were all Oirish and had fearsome thirsts on them so it's in my blood (almost literally). I can always add some peat off the fire if I want that authentic Scottish taste :biggrin: (I do drink whisky as well - hic!)

Never ceases to amaze me how the some of the second division scots distilleries now put so much effort these days into flavouring their (imo inferior) product by the use of all manner of weird and wacky non traditional second hand casks. Why not just make something that tastes like a good Whiskey in the first place like the top draw Scots boys do?

PS Smoke Cuban cigars as well - I'm so decadent

Trumpettom001

I'm having the same problem atm - but theres no noticeable reduction in braking power..... my local pound shop sells some disc brake cleaner for a pound (duh) - would this be suitable, or should i go and buy some tesco value vodka???

they also sell degreaser - would this be any good??

Top Bottom