Disc brakes<question 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spennie

Veteran
I'm in two minds now , wether to change from hub brakes to mechanical disc brakes Can any one tell me, some pros and cons between the two, what do you feel works best ? Also if there's a noticeable weight difference between the two,

junkie_ball

Never used hub brakes but my road and mountain bike uses mechanical discs. Stopping power is great but they do become very noisy if riding in wet weather or at least mine do.

starhawk

Have never used disc brakes but I have those cantilever things on the mountainbike. Hub brakes are heaven compared to them, you just install them and they work without maintance mile after mile, no fiddling with them and no need to change pads. And when I grip both front hubs I can stop on a dime, what more do you need?
Don't think there are much difference in weight, the brakeshoe arrangement on a disc brake must be built to take the strain with the accompanying weight

byegad

Legendary Member
As I said in answer to your first question, hub brakes are virtually fit and forget, disc brake pads wear out fairly fast.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
My Trice had SA hubs and they worked fine with a double pull lever (and a rear caliper brake mainly for parking)
My Performer has mechanical discs and I would say they're marginally better - but noisier. If I had to choose, I would go for discs as they're easier to service and repair - but in balance, the SA hubs would need a lot less attention in the long run.
To conclude, I don't think there's a significant enough advantage to consider either system as an upgrade.

Top Bottom