Disc brakes too tight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

headcoat

Über Member
I have killed my bike :sad:

It's recently had a service with new disc pads etc. Shortly after I got a puncture. So I took the wheel off to fix it (it an Alfine hub); realised there were too many holes in it to fix and couldn't get the thorns out the tyre so ordered a new one; while waiting for that to come I left the bike in the shed upside down.

When I fixed the tyre and tried to put it back on the bike there was no way I could get the disc between the pads, I ended unbolting them and then tighning them up again, now (obviously) the wheel is very hard to turn.

What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Mad at urage

Nothing.The pads have crept closer, fluid from the reservoir has moved (as it is designed to) into the brake lines holding the pads closer.
Gently push the pads back in the calipers (with the wheel off) until there is clearance (fluid will be pushed back into the reservoir). Put the wheel in and pull on hte brake lever a few times until it operates normally. Next time you leave the wheel off for any length of time, put a block of wood (slightly wider that the disc) or similar, betwen the pads to preserve the clearance.

Top Bottom