Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
Specifically mechanical disc brakes. If I buy a mainstream manufacturer's bike today with discs would I still be able to by pads for it in 5 years time. I am looking seriously at a Marin hybrid, but am a little concerned about spares availability in the future knowing how quickly things change. Are modern bikes even made to last 5 years, but that is a different question altogether.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
BB7's use the same pads as some of Avid's hydraulics.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Specifically mechanical disc brakes. If I buy a mainstream manufacturer's bike today with discs would I still be able to by pads for it in 5 years time. I am looking seriously at a Marin hybrid, but am a little concerned about spares availability in the future knowing how quickly things change. Are modern bikes even made to last 5 years, but that is a different question altogether.

Most likely yes. I can still get the pads for a 1998 Marin MTB (cable discs).

The brakes were one of the earlier rare types - Diatech Nifon - and if I search the internet, I can still find the odd retailer selling them.

If you buy Shimano or Avid brakes, then I reckon parts will be more mainstream and more readily available

Top Bottom