Disc wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
What tools would I need to remove a center locking disc, and removal of a rear cassette? Both Shimano branded.

Is it easy and doable for a complete novice?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Shimano/SRAM cassette lockring tool or Shimano/SRAM Bottom Bracket tool, depends which type of lockring it is

figbat

Slippery scientist
Disc - easy enough with the right tool, just undo the lock ring - it might be tight.
Cassette - you need a cassette tool and a chain whip. The chain whip wraps around the cassette to hold it still whilst you use a large spanner on the cassette tool to undo it - again it’ll be tight so will take a bit of grunt. To do it up you don’t need to use the chain whip.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
If you are planning to replace with a new cassette, then it would be prudent to fit a new chain as well, in which case you will need a chain splitter as well.

If you want to learn and DIY, then worth while buying the tools as you need them. But price up the cost of parts and tools and ask for a quote from your LBS, then decide.

However, a chain splitter is one of the tools that is always worth carrying, as you never know when a chain could break by itself.

Good luck

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
However, a chain splitter is one of the tools that is always worth carrying, as you never know when a chain could break by itself.
I've never heard of a chain breaking entirely by itself... it usually takes at least a little bit of help from the rider of the bike! :okay:

Still, sound advice - I have used my chain tool to repair 5 or 6 chains broken out on the road by me and other riders.

Top Bottom