discobrakes.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Nothing to do with the pads.
It's all to do with keeping the callipers nice and clean.
They have moving parts. If you use the bike in all weathers then expect trouble if you don't keep the brakes tip top.
I do many thousand of commuting miles a year in all weathers using BB7 and discobrake pads with no problems what so ever, due to my cleaning regime.

Lejog - GT85 is your friend:thumbsup:

Cheers Guys.

I guess the brake calipers have always been somewhere I've not paid huge attention to... in that I've kept them clean externally but have always been a bit concerned about using GT85 on internal parts of brakes due to it being a lubricant and it therefore potentially affecting the ability to stop.

It's an expensive lesson learned but at least I wanted to upgrade to the BB7 anyway :thumbsup: I'll just have to take better care of these.

Any tips on applying the GT85 so that it won't be an issue, or do I just make sure I keep it away from the disc?

Ps typically I'd just ordered a pack of 4 sets of the ceramic pads for the BB5 before I stumbled upon the problem. If anyone's interested in taking them off my hands then let me know.

400bhp

Guru
GT85 is a mild lubricant, so it does slip slightly but I do find that when it dries it loses the slip. Apply it with the straw and just do your best to keep it off the pads. Use the brakes a few times after applying if you have to. I've always applied liberally and never had a problem.

I'm sure there are better methods (non GT85) of cleaning than I do too, but it's cheap, quick and works for me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've never needed to apply GT85 to my BB7's. Just a good clean and once a year I take the brakes off the bike, take apart and clean thoroughly. What I also do is smear a small amount of grease on the reverse of the pads before putting them in.

400bhp

Guru
I've never needed to apply GT85 to my BB7's. Just a good clean and once a year I take the brakes off the bike, take apart and clean thoroughly. What I also do is smear a small amount of grease on the reverse of the pads before putting them in.

Copper (anti slip) grease?

Top Bottom