Discomfort (Chaffing?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Hello,

Recently moved from mountain bike to road bike, since this change I have developed skin chaffing / abrasion to the area under my "tackle" on either side of the central bone bit where my leg meets (crease)(?)) is.

I am a bit worried as tomorrow I am doing the Manchester to Blackpool ride...

I have always applied Sudocreme before going out on rides, the saddle is a Selle Italia Transam XO, my seat height is correct as far as I am aware as I don't rock my hips when pedaling, the leg extension feels right, it is central and level, I also have decent padded shorts (Endura and Lusso pro gel shorts).

Going to purchase some Assos creme shortly to try and help and the parts are currently undergoing a treatment of Savlon.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated as I am not wanting to aggrevate the issue further tomorrow or on subsequent rides.

Many thanks in advance,

Sys

yello

I guess as a mountain biker, you spent more time out of the saddle. Is it possible that you are seated more on your road bike? And go for longer rides?

In the kind of heat the UK has been having, you will be sweating more and that combined with longer time in the saddle could lead to redness and irritation.

Only really 2 thoughts (because it sounds like you've got the obvious sussed);

- see if you can get out of the saddle more, both to get some air around there and to reduce discomfort

- if you've not already got one, try out a saddle with a cut-away. This reduces pressure on the perenium and could resolve your problem

Edit: just googling your saddle, it looks like it already has a cut-away. In which case, I can't think of a lot else. Make sure you're washing/showering after rides, wash shorts after every ride.... but I reckon you'd be doing that anyway, from everything else you say.

Bigtwin

I've found zinc cream in big tubs from the baby dept at Boots or similar is just as effective - if not more so - than the high-price stuff found in cycle shops.

For long hot rides I take some in a film cannister for re-application in the event of probs.

Seamab

Sysagent - i have suffered from the type of chafing you describe this year and put it down to a new pair of bibshorts i tried. In addition to various creams to alleviate this (i use a Calendula nappy rash cream i got in Asda) you could try reskin patches to the area which have helped me. I found that you need to cut them to a shape that suits the area.

I would say that you need to find shorts with a pad that suit you and be prepared to try a few. I find that my Gore biblongs cause me least discomfort in that area. Hopefully Assos will work for you.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Is that not a fairly wide saddle you have?
I again have to throw into the mix that saddle widths play a vital part in comfort and lessening chafing.. and there arent that many resources that help you in judging whats best for you either.. which is another source of pain...
had the same trouble.. and went down to a 135mm width and problem sorted.. I had struggled for months and months and months with the oem fitted Spesh saddle that was too wide for me

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a Road XO fitted to my Fixed - TBH - I shoved it on the MTB within two weeks......

The gel stuff doesn't work well on Road bikes....especially fixed, as you sit more than 'perch'..... I find the flatter topped saddles better - the Charge Knife is well comfy for a fixed....

The Road XO has been really comfy on the MTB though - it needed a new saddle, but it's a rounded saddle and gel is better for the rocky stuff.....

It's all very personal tough.....some stuff works for some, not others, but the I've not heard anything other than 'great' for the Charge range....... £40 for a Ti railed 210g saddle is a bargain..........

OP
OP
Sysagent

Sysagent

Many thanks for the replies!

I managed to complete the Mcr > Bpool with a combination of the Assos creme and a couple of Ibuprofen pills, the chaffing on the left side was beginning to cause me grief approaching Preston though.

I am beginning to look more at the saddle type I have and it's width, form, etc, the problem is with this type of thing you can't "try before you "buy" can you so I might buy a saddle and it maybe a whole better or worse.

I was looking at the San Marco Regal, Fizik Pave, never heard of the Charge brand of saddles

Thanks again,

Sys

Jonathan M

Sysagent said:
the problem is with this type of thing you can't "try before you "buy" can you so I might buy a saddle and it maybe a whole better or worse.

I was looking at the San Marco Regal, Fizik Pave, never heard of the Charge brand of saddles

Thanks again,

Sys

What is wrong with the type of saddle you have on your MTB???? That is try before you buy.

All my saddles are Selle Italia - I've found through trial & error that they make saddles that suit me. I'd hesitate to say "go for........" becuase saddles are such an individual thing, but if your MTB saddle works for you, then I'd start with something of the same make that you've got on your MTB.

bonj2

on yacf they claim conotrane works wonders.

Davidc

Guru
Try the mountain bike saddle on the road bike. If it suits you on one it may well suit you on the other.

If it does then just buy a second one.

OP
OP
Sysagent

Sysagent

Pedalled into work today and it's just one little bloody pressure sore leftside that is giving me the grief...

Might try the MTB saddle this weekend see if that helps, also going to treat the area with Sudocreme night and day to alleviate the symptoms.

yello

bonj said:
on yacf they claim conotrane works wonders.

I use it but wouldn't claim it to be better than sudocrem. It's thinner and easier to apply but I wouldn't say it gives a better protection. 6 of 1 halve a dozen of the other in my opinion. I tend to prefer sudocrem because with it being thicker I have some kind of (misplaced no doubt) psychological belief that it will be better. But I'm getting confused about what both do.

I use them both sudocrem and conotrane to prevent soreness/redness due to sweat and heat, not as a numb-bum cure which I think some think they'll do. Sometimes I'll apply conotrane and/or daktarin after a ride if things are looking red and nasty. In winter, I do without.

Top Bottom