Divinci Caribou 1 or Kona Sutra???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's considered rather bad form to multi-post old chap.

andym

Über Member
Lisa ('old chap'!)

The Kona Sutra has a good reputation (see thread about it), but I've not heard of Devinci.

The two bikes look pretty similar - steel frames and similar quality of components (though the Kona Sutra comes with racks). I don't know hoe the prices compare. Both would do the job (though personally, whichever I chose, I'd want to change the gearing for something lower).

There are two important differences. Both I think really come down to personal preference but someone may come along to claim they are matters of life and death.

The Kona has disc brakes. You don't need disc brakes for a road touring bike but they work just as well as v-brakes and are as easy to set up and maintain. You may want to carry spare pads as they may be harder to find than normal brake blocks while you are on tour.

The Kona Sutra has bar end shifters. As the name suggests these fit into the end of the handlebar rather than integrating with the brake lever as with the DeVinci. Again both will do the job perfectly well. A lot of tourers are fitted with barend shifters, and they have the advantage that if something goes wrong with the indexing you can use them in non-indexed mode (ie there's no set 'click' for each gear). On the other hand if you are used to integrated STIs you may find it a pain having the gear lever away from the brake lever.

Top Bottom