Do I need a microwave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

heathenking

Über Member
This thread is down on my list of Bizarre Threads I Shouldn’t Be Reading
Cant quite believe I’m starting my day worrying about @Lovacott ‘s effing box and @wafter ‘s effing microwave!
@Gunk is right. He’s worried. I’m worried. (@Drago isnt worried - he’s perving over Nigella in his man cave😐)
Ours is over 17 years old.
Did blow something about 8 years ago, but since we had, by then, built a new kitchen which incorporated it into an island unit, we found a microwave repair fella locally to fix. He had a regular house....stuffed full of microwaves!
Gave it a clean bill of health, and has (touch wood) worked great ever since.
I’d say we use it as much as the normal oven.

screenman

Legendary Member
Back to the op, want or need are two very different things.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The latest thing is a microwave with no turntable. I only have an ordinary one which is used every day. Porridge is always done in the microwave as no pan to clean and much quicker than a pan. Sometimes I slice up potato and precook it in the microwave before going into the Remoska. Good chips with no fat.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
nice
have only read thread quickly but why don't you keep it if it still works?
an east end london hipster would love it I'm sure.
Because if, as they say "space is the ultimate luxury" I'm a pauper. Especially moving back home where the crap's piled high as it is, without adding any more..

The latest thing is a microwave with no turntable. I only have an ordinary one which is used every day. Porridge is always done in the microwave as no pan to clean and much quicker than a pan. Sometimes I slice up potato and precook it in the microwave before going into the Remoska. Good chips with no fat.
if microwaves are supposed to cook effortlessly all the way through, why was the turntable even needed?
(yes - you can see I'm seriously out of touch with this new fangled tech - way more than my aged mum)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
if microwaves are supposed to cook effortlessly all the way through, why was the turntable even needed?
(yes - you can see I'm seriously out of touch with this new fangled tech - way more than my aged mum)
I have no idea but I have used both and the results were the same. Naturally the ones with no turntable cost more but probably cheaper to make. The turntable is a weak point and can give problems. Better ask a friendly Chinese person who probably makes them.

It is possible i suppose that the turntable is totally useless/pointless but that the makers/marketeers reckoned that folk liked to see something happening.

postman

Legendary Member
When i first moved out of the family i so wanted a microwave :sad:
My first thought was a girlfriend.^_^:rolleyes::tongue:

postman

Legendary Member
I went in to PC World and said i'd like a microwave for the wife.The bloke said bring her in and we'll see what we can do.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I have no idea but I have used both and the results were the same. Naturally the ones with no turntable cost more but probably cheaper to make. The turntable is a weak point and can give problems. Better ask a friendly Chinese person who probably makes them.
The radiation within the oven is not equally distributed so typically a turntable is used to ensure even cooking. An alternative is for the manufacturer to fit a rotating stirrer blade between the microwave source and the oven cavity.

Top Bottom