Do you feel lucky Punk !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Veteran
View attachment 578905

It never rains but pours ! This rear wheel was rebuilt last year. It was only a year old then when it was breaking spokes. Looks like new rim time and I assume new spokes. However some epoxy might keep it steady for now .

I wouldn't attempt to repair that. Your photograph shows radial damage to the rim from spoke hole to bead.

Oops, sorry should have read the thread before opening gob.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wouldn't attempt to repair that. Your photograph shows radial damage to the rim from spoke hole to bead.

Oops, sorry should have read the thread before opening gob.
The 'crack' running to the rim edge is the join where the rim is jointed to make the hoop. This does make me wonder if the failure is due to poor wheel building technique? It often takes a bit of effort to keep a wheel true at the join during building and can result in a temptation to raise the spoke tensions at the join to compensate for any deformations it causes. This might be the reason for a failure at that particular spoke? An experienced wheel builder will avoid this by working other spokes around the wheel to compensate and acheiving the same trueness but without sacrificing spoke tension uniformity.

monkers

Veteran
The 'crack' running to the rim edge is the join where the rim is jointed to make the hoop. This does make me wonder if the failure is due to poor wheel building technique? It often takes a bit of effort to keep a wheel true at the join during building and can result in a temptation to raise the spoke tensions at the join to compensate for any deformations it causes. This might be the reason for a failure at that particular spoke? An experienced wheel builder will avoid this by working other spokes around the wheel to compensate and acheiving the same trueness but without sacrificing spoke tension uniformity.

Thanks. No I'm not referring to the hoop join of the rim, I'm referring to the damage. Follow the radial line of the spoke from the damage to rim and look at the pattern of colouration.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thanks. No I'm not referring to the hoop join of the rim, I'm referring to the damage. Follow the radial line of the spoke from the damage to rim and look at the pattern of colouration.
Apologies, I did think as I was typing that surely nobody would mistake the rim join for a crack, but you never know as not everybody knows everything :blush:

I think what you can see from the spoke hole is just dirt, but I could be wrong. I'd be very surprised for the rim to crack across another crack in that manner.

monkers

Veteran
Apologies, I did think as I was typing that surely nobody would mistake the rim join for a crack, but you never know as not everybody knows everything :blush:

I think what you can see from the spoke hole is just dirt, but I could be wrong. I'd be very surprised for the rim to crack across another crack in that manner.

No worries, perhaps I should have made that clear but had not anticipated the confusion. It's possible that the witness colouration marks present at the surface would wipe away - but I doubt that. The next visible spoke has no such markings. The hoop join appears to be stable and I doubt that has implication.

I think what I am able to see by the thin dark line central the to the band of discolouration is a line of stress within the material. Without having the wheel here in my hands, I'm not able to say much else, such as the root reason for the fracture.

PS .. after having a second look at the photograph, I think I also see a marking consistent with a rim strike, in turn consistent with the type of damage that sustained when riding through potholes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Its defo cracked !! Hope to have the new headset for the other bike today and get that on the road as weather not too bad this week.

Top Bottom