Do you look down on other countries for matters you let our country off on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Basically the Indian space success story had a few comments that got me thinking. There was criticism about Indians developing the advanced tech to successfully land so far south on the moon when there's poverty there.

USA, UK, Russia and China, indeed most of EU have poverty and wealth gap widening but heavily invested in space technology. We don't criticise them for funding their programs but we have India. Do we, predominantly white European, have a colonial mindset at play?

I have no idea. My personal view is that national research and development of advanced technology of developing countries is only them trying to catch up and move from exploitative low pay manufacturing for predominantly wealthy western nations to high knowledge manufacturing and industries. Is that wrong? Are we subconsciously sabotaging this?

Do we just want them to keep on making us our cheap clothing and fast consumerist products than actually supporting them in developing their county into a wealthy nation like ours?

Reactions: C R

markemark

Über Member
Not only that, it was an amazing achievement by India yet many can do no more than ridicule and belittle it. Yes, I like a joke, but to diminish this amazing success story is a shame.

Their space program will, hopefully, position them as a global player in science which will bring in direct and indirect investment.

Gillstay

Über Member
I noticed this over the tropical rainforest destruction. Many countries got criticised for this in our papers, in the 1990's, but never Australia.

They would put a large chain between two bulldozers and then drag everything over. Then burn it. Same as the rest of em.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think the welfare of the population in any country comes before funding space programs and other total rubbish that's funded.

India's space programme is a serious revenue generator for them.

Technical demonstrations such as this - any scientific effort on the mission is secondary - has opened another revenue stream. They are now the only nation outside of the US able and willing to provide lunar landing services and, more pertientnely, technical assistance to the commercial market.

Make no mistake, they're not taking food from the mouths of starving babies to fund this - they're making very good coin back from their investment.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I am happy for them and it will be interesting to see how they develop it. I might have made some tongue in cheek comments, but make no mistake, they have a healthy respect from me, especially as they have done it on such a budget! 🇮🇳

presta

Guru
I think the welfare of the population in any country comes before funding space programs and other total rubbish that's funded.

A lot of science looks like an expensive waste of money before the benefits materialise. I don't suppose there were many who foresaw GPS and satellite communications when the Russians launched Sputnik, or power stations and houses full of electrical appliances when Faraday was tinkering around with magnets and bits of wire. Bicycles were seen as an eccentric novely when they first appeared.

Top Bottom