Doctor Hoy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He's learning to ride a Penny next week, too;)

Mind you, I'll give him a slap if he scratches my bike;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't really understand the point of these honorary doctorates. Ordinary people toil for years to get one.

gavintc

Guru
rich p said:
I don't really understand the point of these honorary doctorates. Ordinary people toil for years to get one.

PR and a nice celeb to give away the prizes at the Graduation Day. I agree it is generally fatuous and meaningless. But at least Chris (sorry Sir Chris) has actually been St Andrews (and not just the beach).

Ben M

Will1985 said:
That is wrong in so many ways....go and check Debretts!

Nice site, but it isn't telling me why "Sir Hoy MBE D.Sc BSc(hons)" isn't correct.

To me that's the way to do it, the "Sir" beforehand, and then the degrees post-nominal.

Were you referring to something like this:
Debrett said:
In social usage it is not uncommon to find titles conferred by the Sovereign combined with styles emanating from other sources (eg Alderman Sir William Green, and Professor Sir Edward Hailstone), though [U']this is deprecated by purists[/U]
http://www.debretts.com/forms-of-address/titles/knight.aspx

Will1985

Über Member
Because you never follow Sir by a surname alone - it is Sir Chris or Sir Chris Hoy. MBE can be added, but honorary degrees should be ignored, as well as masters and bachelors degress unless required in a formal situation where the degree is relevant (the only place I've seen them used are in teaching, and then usually only the masters ones).

jimboalee

"He raced BMX until the age of 14, becoming Scottish champion and the British number two."

I would place a substantial bet he was building his own bikes.

:evil::laugh::bravo::laugh::shy:

Top Bottom