D'oh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CJ87

Ok now nobody laugh, I left a post a few days ago referring to gear shifting problems and dodgy noises. I was directed to Sheldon Brown's fantastic website and spent a looooooong time going over everything. For literally the last two days I've been going over the entire bike with a tooth comb. Many many many derailer adjustments, lots of bike grease, cable repositioning, chain shortening etc etc etc. Late this afternoon I gave up and put my bike back together and cycled down to the pub where I got talking to another cyclist. I told him about my troubles.

'Havn't you ever heard of trimming?' He said.
'Trimming?'
'You have very old school gears', then he went on to explain and give me a full demonstration!

Ooopps!

The only good side is that I've learnt alot about the various bits n pieces on my bike and how they all work! Now I just have to master Trimming!:biggrin:

Dave5N

Über Member
Yep

ASC1951

Guru
CJ87 said:
The only good side is that I've learnt a lot about the various bits n pieces on my bike and how they all work!
You have also spent time in the company of the late, great, Sheldon - IMO that is a privilege for any of us.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Trimming...hmm me thinks that is why a fella at work is coming to see me about his bike........saw it in middle chain ring, bottom sprocket...oops..... collared me on the way into work today...........

I am now "Bike God" at work...even the fella with a brand new 5.2 Trek was off to see me rather than the LBS... fortunately he fixed a loose spoke, but did get advice about keeping an eye on it, dealer...then locktight...etc....

Yorkshireman said:
Easing the gear-change lever back and forth (or side to side) after a gear change, to get the chain running cleanly - mostly applies to non-clicky changers (and some front clicky ones).:smile:

I knew that, it just looked like the wrong word when I saw it on the page for some reason.......:wacko:

Top Bottom