Don't Laugh.......I have a triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the snail

Guru
I think if you want to deprive yourself of the lowest gears, the best option would be to go for a closer ratio cassette, which gives the advantage of closer ratios and less overlap. Also increasing the size of the granny ring could cause problems because the FD will need a minimum difference between rings, and you might find you can't set it up without the FD fouling the chainring.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Would it be bad form to confess I considered using my granny ring in Saturday’s gusts? On the flat! I also had to pedal hard down hill.
Apparently it is bad form to call it a 'granny' ring now. I had a think about it and decided that I will call mine the 'grovelling' ring in future! :laugh:

I have had to use a grovelling gear to get down a hill before now.

I once read about a touring cyclist who had to abandon an attempt to ride down a 20% slope on the coast of Patagonia - even his lowest grovelling gear was not enough to fight the vicious headwind! :eek:

si_c

Guru
Apparently it is bad form to call it a 'granny' ring now. I had a think about it and decided that I will call mine the 'grovelling' ring in future! :laugh:

I have had to use a grovelling gear to get down a hill before now.

I once read about a touring cyclist who had to abandon an attempt to ride down a 20% slope on the coast of Patagonia - even his lowest grovelling gear was not enough to fight the vicious headwind! :eek:
Not to mention that if people start talking about getting into their granny ring it could result in unfounded charges of elder abuse.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just noticed this thread so am "late to the party".
When I had my (Ribble) road bike built I chose a triple and enjoyed it.
When that was stolen I bought a Giant carbon but paid to have a bigger cog at the back to help me up the hills and have never regretted it.

Apologies if this has been covered before,but.... I purchased my current bike, a Trek 1000SL some 10years ago. At the time it was a fairly decent ally frame with carbon forks,seat stem, decent enough eqpt for the price at a time when carbon bikes were phenomally expensive. As a standard it came with Simano 52/42/30 triple and 11-25 cassette. I rarely (try not to) use the 30 especially as I have changed the rear to 11-28 so hills are do-able in the middle ring although this gearing is still higher than the new compact/semis on the market, so I do occasionally have to drop down in the front, but it feels a bit...........wimping out.

My Q is can I change the 30 to a 34 ? The rear derailleur is already extended to take the longer chain when on the 30, so I'm assuming (always dangerous) that I should be able to change this to a 34 without any issues, were only talking 4 extra teeth ?!

Looking further ahead it is time to upgrade but I LOVE the 42 as it gives me a good range of extra gears. How much difference / benefit would a 52/36 or 50/34 give me if I can't get a new triple ? I know there are triple still out there but they are all appear to be 50/39/30 and I would like to have a 34 as the small ring, could I change that as well ?

Thanks in advance.

I won't laugh if you won't.............I've got a Ceepo. (lol!). No it's not some sort of Chinese sex toy or a moon of Neptune. It's this. Bizarre name for a bike. Never even heard of the make until I bought it. After searching online and in several shops, it was the only bike of that type I could find with a threaded BB. Under my budget too and it rides great! The tech specs seem to say it's got a PF30, but this one has a threaded one, it has the notches for the hollowtech BB tool and also the rotational arrows in which to tighten it. No idea whats going on there. Got a feelin its gonna be some kind of weird hybrid press-threaded doolali bearing when I need to replace it:eek:

gilespargiter

Veteran
Not to mention that if people start talking about getting into their granny ring it could result in unfounded charges of elder abuse.

There is a certain headland on the N.Wales cycle path that I have rounded in the teeth of Westerly gales and changed into the granny to cycle down a few times now.
Personally, I could'nt care less if some egotistical idiot were to break into inane laughter because of it - not that most of them would have enough backbone to be abroad in such weather anyway!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I won't laugh if you won't.............I've got a Ceepo. (lol!). No it's not some sort of Chinese sex toy or a moon of Neptune. It's this. Bizarre name for a bike. Never even heard of the make until I bought it. After searching online and in several shops, it was the only bike of that type I could find with a threaded BB. Under my budget too and it rides great! The tech specs seem to say it's got a PF30, but this one has a threaded one, it has the notches for the hollowtech BB tool and also the rotational arrows in which to tighten it. No idea whats going on there. Got a feelin its gonna be some kind of weird hybrid press-threaded doolali bearing when I need to replace it:eek:

some interesting bikes on their website
Shadow-R_black_B_1200X800_CEEPO_2019_v1.jpg

Ps ~ 3 bikes = 3 triples

Top Bottom