Door Hinge Problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
My car in Spain is parked in my mate's field and he thankfully starts it up and runs the engine for a bit on a regular basis, which is great. Yesterday he did this and noticed a wasps nest in the door hinge. He said he only saw about ten wasps and when I get over there in about three weeks we should just drive it and that will get rid of the wasps then wash the car. I'm not convinced plum MrsJ wouldn't go anywhere near the car.
Mrs J would want my mate to get a pest controller in to deal with it.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200812-084846_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200812-084846_Gmail.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 9

Drago

Legendary Member
I can't think of any way of dealing with it that doesn't put you at risk. I think an exterminator is the only method that doesn't risk you getting stung repeatedly,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wasp nest destroying foam. Quickest method. Leave overnight.

Or if he can, get ant powder and dust it around the panel gaps near the nest. They will tread this in and take it into the nest killing them. Takes a few days. regular re-dusting of the panel gap will have them all gone by the time you get there. Safest way of sorting it. Dust in the evening.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Buy a can of that spray stuff. Stand well back, but not so far that you miss, spray the nest, then run.
Give it half an hour and repeat if necessary. The nest totally disintegrates when the spray hits so get ready to scarper. Obviously wear long sleeves and tuck your trousers in your socks

We had a wasps' nest in the attic and when I said I was going to buy a can of the stuff, my ex-Mrs said "you're not doing that. I'm phoning the council pest people". The council lady said to her "why don't you just buy a can of the spray stuff?"

There's a long tale of me, heart pounding, attacking the nest in the attic then running like hell into the garden - but as it happened it was in winter and the nest was empty and it was (thankfully) a huge anti climax

I've seen someone use the spray on multiple wasps' nests in his garage and whilst the wasps were extremely angry done with caution from a few metres away it was all OK

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I can't think of any way of dealing with it that doesn't put you at risk. I think an exterminator is the only method that doesn't risk you getting stung repeatedly,
sell the car as a fixer upper

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well I got here last Tuesday, Wednesday morning we dealt with the issue. My mate taped up with masking tape the outside of the door, front wing join/gap two days previously. I climbed over the passenger seat and drove the car to the car wash. My mate opened the drivers door, sprayed the nest with s wasp nest spray, started the car wash, after , I drove the car out, opened the door, sprayed again and knocked off the nest, all done. The taping seemed to have done the job though as a few dead wasps were stuck to it.

Top Bottom