Doping amnesty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No. They tar us all. Have been to watch a TdF and cycling home was somewhat displeased when some car passenger yelled 'dopeur' at me as they passed.

Believe it or not, dopers are not highly regarded sportsmen/women. We used to associate doping with the dictatorships behind the iron curtain. Now it is commercial pressure that makes them do it. And selfish voyeurs, I am sorry to say.
I've had that happen to me. Though dopeur was pronounced dohp-pah in the estuarine style. I took it as a complement in regards to the speed I was travelling at.

Also it made a nice change from wan-khah!, far-khah!, you-caant!, and getakar you farkin sad-dho! which are the usual pleasantries exchanged from the passenger seat in these parts.

No. They tar us all. Have been to watch a TdF and cycling home was somewhat displeased when some car passenger yelled 'dopeur' at me as they passed.

Believe it or not, dopers are not highly regarded sportsmen/women. We used to associate doping with the dictatorships behind the iron curtain. Now it is commercial pressure that makes them do it. And selfish voyeurs, I am sorry to say.

I quite understand. Infelicitous language may have left my post open to misunderstanding, so I've edited it after reading your reply.

By 'them' in my post, I meant the cycling authorities not the pro-racers. I was trying to show that I was on the fence as far as the notion of amnesties went. Apologies for the poor wording.

But I do think the 'selfish voyeur' (not my words) is an element here. One of the reasons the GTs are such good viewing is that there is oodles of money in them. Those oodles (as in football and other big-money sports) are generated from exposure to the TV audience of 'selfish voyeurs'. I ride a lot and have a son who races. My other two children ride but do not race. We would be seen as a 'cycling family'. I too have been to watch the TdF, but I'm too slow and spherical to be accused of doping. :sad:

Nonetheless, I do want my TdF and my Giro to be spectacular and watchable. I know now that it was not as it seemed, but the impression made on me by some of the extreme rides in the '99, '00 and '01 Tour live with me still. If any changes made by the authorities throw out baby with bath water, then I think there will be a negative impact on the racing. This is not a vote for doping or for a laissez-faire selective blindness (as to date).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The likes of LA and others have so devalued the sport that frankly I just don't care. You can have an amnesty until the next time someone manages to get around it, and I'm sure they will. As long as sport attracts the ruthless bullies who want to win at any price you will have doping. As far as I'm concerned they can just get on with it.

Hotblack Desiato

I've had that happen to me. Though dopeur was pronounced dohp-pah in the estuarine style. I took it as a complement in regards to the speed I was travelling at.

Also it made a nice change from wan-khah!, far-khah!, you-caant!, and getakar you farkin sad-dho! which are the usual pleasantries exchanged from the passenger seat in these parts.

..not as good as being blown a kiss by two girls on a scooter a few miles further on.. Vive la France!

But I do think the 'selfish voyeur' (not my words) is an element here. One of the reasons the GTs are such good viewing is that there is oodles of money in them. Those oodles (as in football and other big-money sports) are generated from exposure to the TV audience of 'selfish voyeurs'. ..

Nonetheless, I do want my TdF and my Giro to be spectacular and watchable. ...

Belleville Rendezvous was splendidly satirical about that. You know, the cartoon about kidnapped pro-cyclists being forced to ride until they dropped for the mafia to gamble on!

Top Bottom