Double Shift??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
jimboalee said:
Experienced duffers like me and some others here can grab the lever and know which sprocket the chain is on by the lever's position, then they can put the chain on any sprocket by 'feelie touchie' without looking where the lever is. Four or five sprockets at a jump.
What I love about bar end shifters, just extend my index finger & I know what gear I'm in, I also have indexing in the 'off' position so any cable stretch or slip can easily be dialled out by touch.

Modern systems have indicator windows on the brake hoods to tell the forgetful rider which gear he's in because the lever says nothing.
Not all modern shifters have this & even when I ride with them I don't look at them, if I really need to check what gear I'm in I look down.

jimboalee

Moodyman said:
I've always thought that too ;) with some shifters you can change one gear by pushing halfway, two by pushing the whole way; I thought that was a double shift

C'mon people.

How long will it be before someone shouts "STI shifters can shift 1 with a single click, 2 at the next click and 3 with a full push".

Well, I once had an SA 5-speed hub with the 2 toggle chains, on a camping trip the huge plastic lever (it wasn't like an SLS5N, it was an old, bulky thing which if I remember, worked almost like an early STI shifter, with a push up to change up, and a pull down to change down, and a big turning indicator in the middle) just exploded...no replacement levers available easily, so managed to concoct a system with 2 3-speed shifters, one operating each toggle chain, and certain combinations of positions gave certain gears.

Made for an interesting ride home, glad it was only about 40 miles. Now THAT'S double-shifting!