Doubts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cope

Apologies for more brain-dumping, but I trust you're all sympathetic - one gets a bit obsessive before buying one's first bike for years....

I had a go on a Tricross Fixed with 42/16 around the town - no hills, reasonable amount of traffic. Maybe because I'm unfit, or maybe because my last bike (Dolan/Centaur Audax) was so lovely, I didn't love it - it just didn't quite sing for me. I also didn't get on well with the pedals - toe-clips, and I found it hard to get my left foot into the left clip once the pedals had started moving. I also found that I was wobbling a little at about 20 mph, which felt unnerving.

I'm a bit worried about hills, given that my last experience of riding fixed was falling off, going down a steep hill in the Cotswolds on a fairly heavily loaded bike - although to be fair that bike was a bit crap.

My daily ride will involve a few hills - I'm not worried about going up them - it's going down them that scares me - especially with fairly loaded panniers. I feel tense at the memory of feeling out of control, and wobbly, and I remember not liking the feeling of not being very able to stop when the pedals were going round faster than I felt I wanted to go.

These doubts are adding to the sense that perhaps I should just get a geared bike - no worries about hills there at all - freewheel if it's too fast, and low gear going up if need be. Only concern is that there's a lot of wasted stuff - I don't need 28 gears, and I love the simplicity of no front or rear mechs, plus the decrease in weight (although given that I'll be carrying 10+ kg of stuff on the rack, perhaps that's negligible). I also sense that at the same budget a Tricross Single is just going to be better quality than an equivalent priced tourer or audax.

Maybe I'm scarred by my last experience, and I should just get over it - I just don't want to spend £500 on a fixie + kit, only not to ride it much because I don't enjoy it, when I could spend the same on a geared bike that I know I will enjoy, but might wish it were faster and lighter and simpler - somehow more elegant.

Reassurances? Advice?

Have a go on a Kona Paddy Wagon and see what you think

Cranky

Cope said:
These doubts are adding to the sense that perhaps I should just get a geared bike - no worries about hills there at all - freewheel if it's too fast, and low gear going up if need be. Only concern is that there's a lot of wasted stuff - I don't need 28 gears, and I love the simplicity of no front or rear mechs, plus the decrease in weight (although given that I'll be carrying 10+ kg of stuff on the rack, perhaps that's negligible).

Would a hub gear solve this problem?

OP
OP
C

Cope

Cranky said:
Would a hub gear solve this problem?

Maybe! I was interested to learn that there are new and fancy hub gears these days - last I used was an old Sturmey Archer on my Grifter, in the 80s.

I noted the Van Nicholas Amazon looks like it'll be offered with hub gears shortly.

Cranky

Cope said:
Maybe! I was interested to learn that there are new and fancy hub gears these days - last I used was an old Sturmey Archer on my Grifter, in the 80s.

I noted the Van Nicholas Amazon looks like it'll be offered with hub gears shortly.

Yes, I've been looking at that very model myself, but the cost is a consideration! There are also bikes with more economical 7/8 speed hubs about.

Top Bottom