Downloads: 1000 mile JoG-LE on Minor Roads (as far as possible)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
File Name: 1000 mile JoG-LE on Minor Roads (as far as possible)
File Submitter: porkypete
File Submitted: 24 Aug 2010
File Category: Routes and Maps

This route was completed by a group of a dozen young people (youngest was 12) in August 2010.

I've deliberately amputated the first & last few metres of some tracklogs so that the organisations who kindly provided accomodation for free will not be pestered by requests from subsequent users of this route.

I've also provided some brief notes on where I think this route might be improved.

The route planning was mostly done using bikehike.co.uk, and to a large degree we kept to the planned route.

Please PM me if I can help in any way with the planning of your JOGLE route.

Click here to download this file

View attachment JoGLE-Day1.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day2.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day3.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day4.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day5.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day6.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day7.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day8.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day9.gpx
View attachment JoGLE-Day10.gpx

Shaun

Founder

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Cheers Pete... Just what i've been looking for :thumbsup:

I've just tried to download the routes, but just seem to get a load of 'code' type figures & symbols :wacko:

That would be because .gpx files are in something called XML (Extended mark-up language IIRC)
By default these are opened in a text editor like Notepad. If you have something like Garmin Mapsource on your computer you can change the default to have that open the files.... but usually much more useful is to save the files to your hard drive (My Documents or similar). Then use your internet browser (preferably not IE) go to www.bikehike.co.uk click on Course Creator (top left), then "Upload Route" (in bottom right panel)
Browse to where you saved the GPX files, then click on the Upload button.
The route you chose is now displayed in Google Maps panel, and the start of it in Ordnance Survey 1:25000.
If, like me, you LOVE the OS maps, you can toggle the sizes to get the OS panel bigger and the Google one smaller. You can also zoom out to give 1:50 000 or Road Atlas style maps

Any probs, PM me, I'll try to help.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Ok....
i donpt do technical.. I'll hand the job of transferring them over to the TeenOne ;)
Am hoping to LeJog next year with #3, (just need # 1 to pass his driving test first
)

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Same here - I only got a load of numbers too and know less than nothing about file formats etc- would be interested in this route as am planning to do the thing on cyclepaths, B or unclassified roads as much as possible.

That would be because .gpx files are in something called XML (Extended mark-up language IIRC)
By default these are opened in a text editor like Notepad. If you have something like Garmin Mapsource on your computer you can change the default to have that open the files.... but usually much more useful is to

1. Save the files to your hard drive (My Documents or similar).
  2. Then use your internet browser (preferably not IE) go to www.bikehike.co.uk
  3. click on Course Creator (top left), then "Upload Route" (in bottom right panel)
  4. Browse to where you saved the GPX files on your hard drive, choose one of them then click on the Upload button.
  5. The route you chose is now displayed in Google Maps panel, and the start of it in Ordnance Survey 1:25000.
  6. If, like me, you LOVE the OS maps, you can toggle the sizes to get the OS panel bigger and the Google one smaller. You can also zoom out to give 1:50 000 or Road Atlas style maps

Sorry - cant make it much more simple than that.

Shaun

Founder
Just to confirm, the files do properly download in text/XML format as they should, but need to be "processed" by software to produce useable data.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Dunno if this quick fix helps - I downloaded the files into a folder.
Went to the folder, and "renamed" the files to have .gpx on the end. They work for me now :smile:

[Edited] Wow - and thank you for those! very useful :smile:

Top Bottom