Drafting on the A21

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
The worst part of my ride home is a long section of fairly busy road that runs through a very un-romantic area and is frequented by both large HGV's and a ferocious headwind.

its not fun.

but last Tuesday it became a playground (for the first time) as i managed, successfully, to draft a bus on and off for about a mile. Too make it even more fun, I was drafting alongside another rider (who had clearly done this a lot more than me as I was caught out at least twice and had to get out of his way). The two of us were freewheeling along at nearly 30mph at one point, for a couple of hundred yards.

I'm not sure if i saved any energy as I had to really pump to keep up with the bus as it accelerated away from a standing start, but either way it made the dullest part of my run home much more fun.

Still luvin’ the buses.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The worst part of my ride home is a long section of fairly busy road that runs through a very un-romantic area and is frequented by both large HGV's and a ferocious headwind.

its not fun.

but last Tuesday it became a playground (for the first time) as i managed, successfully, to draft a bus on and off for about a mile. Too make it even more fun, I was drafting alongside another rider (who had clearly done this a lot more than me as I was caught out at least twice and had to get out of his way). The two of us were freewheeling along at nearly 30mph at one point, for a couple of hundred yards.

I'm not sure if i saved any energy as I had to really pump to keep up with the bus as it accelerated away from a standing start, but either way it made the dullest part of my run home much more fun.

Still luvin’ the buses.

I've drafted busses several times. You really need to watch their brake lights and have your brakes covered the whole time imo. Its not a thing I'd let a beginner do though.

Domeo

I've done it quite a few times, but not since I returned after a break of a couple years and gotten away with it. However a good friend of mine, and very experienced rider, hit the back of a bus pretty hard when it braked quicker than him. Although it has been a running joke for a few years at the time he was hurt.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I do it, but I try to stay to the right hand side of the bus so I can have a look at what is coming up. And yes, be ready to brake and/or emerge from the rear and go around the bus...

potsy

Rambler
I now have a vision of JJ headbutting the back of a bus just like in the video on you-tube
rolleyes.gif

I'm only jelous,I have difficulty drafting milk floats
tongue.gif

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
[QUOTE 1193033"]
True, 'ghost riding' is advanced only, 48mph is my record.
[/quote]

Nice, the lesson I learnt was not to draft one of those fast tractors pulling a trailer of onions :hyper:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
[QUOTE 1193035"]
...or one pulling a tanker full of cow shoot.
[/quote]

Or a leaky deisel tipper truck.... ;) Something I did and wont do again. Anything that looks like a peice of s*** is a risk. No off though.:tongue:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I do it, but I try to stay to the right hand side of the bus so I can have a look at what is coming up. And yes, be ready to brake and/or emerge from the rear and go around the bus...

+1 on that, it was actually me taking this spot that caused the issue with the other rider, I could see an escape and he couldnt so wanted me to shift out as the bus slowed...but I could see he was about to move off again.

I'm too scared to draft from the centre

thomas

the tank engine
+1 on that, it was actually me taking this spot that caused the issue with the other rider, I could see an escape and he couldnt so wanted me to shift out as the bus slowed...but I could see he was about to move off again.

I'm too scared to draft from the centre

I almost managed to go around the entire Norwich ring road while slip streaming a lorry...I was only meant to on ton the ring road for about 1/4 mile as I went home from UNI, but I got behind a lorry and was having too much fun :tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Drifted a bus up Bromley Hill on the A21 tonight. Got to 21mph before nearly blowing a gasket..
laugh.gif
Fastest I have ever managed up that hill.

Drafting is fun, especially double decker buses. Hower you do have to have your wits about you as:

1) Buses stop frequently - so make sure you know where the bus stops are and watch for indicators.
2) If you get too close you won't be able to see ahead and might run into the back of the bus if it slows down suddenly - so give yourself enough room to stop in an emergency.
3) If you get too close you might not notice potholes/speedbumps/drain covers until it's too late and get a nasty surprise as you get thrown onto the crossbar or worse.

So basically only draft on roads that you know well and even then don't get super close - I've had a few incidents where I've hit potholes or speedbumps at 30mph and I've been lucky to stay on the bike.

Top Bottom