Dragons Den

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beeankey

Anyone see this last night?

Did I imagine it or did a guy break down during a pitch, come back and apologise explaining how it had meant a lot to him as his wife had miscarried 3 times and Peter Jones replied "Im sorry to hear that but these noodles just taste like baby food" (pretty bad taste and I don't mean the food)

Peter Jones then tells him he was not here for sympathy but his business idea which was crap and then proceeds to make him an offer because the business had a good name!!

The guys product apparantly tasted rubbish. He had no idea what was in it, it was a health food but yet he was chubby, he had no idea of figures and yet still walked away with the money.

I'll never watch it again.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I saw the second half of it. Yes it was odd, wasn't it. Do they just want the name?

How long does it take to cook "ordinary noodles"?

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Anyone see this last night?

Did I imagine it or did a guy break down during a pitch, come back and apologise explaining how it had meant a lot to him as his wife had miscarried 3 times and Peter Jones replied "Im sorry to hear that but these noodles just taste like baby food" (pretty bad taste and I don't mean the food)

Peter Jones then tells him he was not here for sympathy but his business idea which was crap and then proceeds to make him an offer because the business had a good name!!

The guys product apparantly tasted rubbish. He had no idea what was in it, it was a health food but yet he was chubby, he had no idea of figures and yet still walked away with the money.

I'll never watch it again.

Slightly unfair IMO. Ok, the guy guffed up his pitch and cracked completely under the usual barrage of bullying dressed up as "probing questions", but he had produced a product and brand, manufactured it and got it to market with (he claimed) offers on the table from retailers. Obviously, due dilligence would flush that out, but maybe Peter Jones saw the "spark" that Lord Sugar is so fond of and thought it was worth the punt for a 50% share in a company which may have a marketable brand and potential.

The show itself however I fear is on the slide. When it started out, it was a decently balanced business show; searching and incisive without being needlessly ruthless. Unfortunately, the novelty of proper business conversations I think has long worn off on the general viewing public, and for those not interested in repetitive talks on margins and market position, the X-Factorisation is what is stalling the fall. Peter Jones is far too interested in his media profile and being a Simon Cowell of the business world with his put downs, Duncan Bannatyne to be honest looks bored of it all. Deborah Meaden still gives it a fair crack, but is fighting a solo battle to keep to show true to what it was. Theo is a loss to the show as he was witty while keeping it focused. James Caan was never properly replaced.

Its a shame, as when Dave shows reruns of the first few series, it reminds me that there used to be a decent business-orientated show there somewhere.

I cant believe people still go on and say something like "I want half a million quid for 1 percent of a brand that no one has heard of and/or is still in development and has turned over 600 quid"

You just know what the dragons are going to say

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I always feel uncomfortable when they bully the owners in to the net costs etc. I buy it for £5 wholesale for £10 etc. I always think wow talk about give the future wholesale buyers the edge in the next meeting

Longshot

Peter Jones paid £60K for a brand name - "Bare Naked Foods". Anything else is a bonus for him.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I saw the second half of it. Yes it was odd, wasn't it. Do they just want the name?

How long does it take to cook "ordinary noodles"?

Three minutes in the microwave. I have them for lunch every day.

A touch longer on a hob, perhaps, if you have to bring a pot of water to the boil.

classic33

Leg End Member
The noodle guy got a deal but the folk who made building blocks for kids got nothing, mental :laugh:
You may have noticed that Lego has gone up/going up in price whilst similar building systems are dropping in price. Outcome of a 10 year court battle between Mega Bloks & Lego. Lego won the case, Mega Bloks appealed & lost the appeal. Only someone with a lot more money than sense would contemplate investing in anything similar to Lego.

Top Bottom