Driving Instructors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
I had more than my usual number of close passes on my way home at lunch time.

Two of them were from learner drivers who had the instructor in the passenger seat.

No wonder people don't give us room if their teachers don't encourage it.

Bman

Guru
Yeah, i nkow the feeling.

The last time I was "beeped at" for holding primary through a pinch point was by a driving instructor...

Thomk

Guru
The instructor doesn't drive the car for the learner. I am a fan of instructors leaving learners alone as much as possible as long as it is safe to do so. That means taking them around schools, into multi storey car parks, fast roads, allowing them to make mistakes etc etc. Hopefully the instructor will have noticed the close pass and discussed it with the driver.

The instructor doesn't drive the car for the learner. I am a fan of instructors leaving learners alone as much as possible as long as it is safe to do so. That means taking them around schools, into multi storey car parks, fast roads, allowing them to make mistakes etc etc. Hopefully the instructor will have noticed the close pass and discussed it with the driver.

So in my case if the patient is given the wrong drug and i have a chat about it afterwards that is OK?

There is no excuse for a close pass, the instructor should have predicted this and instructed (a clue there) as to positioning long before the close pass.

Sheepy1209

Veteran
To become an instructor you have to pass a theory test, an extended driving test, and two teaching tests selected from a set of standard exercises. None of that includes anything specific about cyclists, and unless the trainee instructor is made aware there is nothing to open their eyes to a cyclist's needs.

From what I've seen, the requirements to become an instructor suffer the same failing as the basic driving test - too much focus on technical vehicle handling skills, too little on the needs of other road users, particularly cyclists. We have a system where the ability to park a car is deemed more important than safe interaction with cyclists (if a driver happens to pass a cyclist closely on test they MAY fail, but even that depends on the examiner's awareness).

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I had an interesting encounter with an instructor about 18 months ago. I was approaching a junction with a major road, signalling to turn left, when I noticed that a learner driver on my right, on the main road, had slowed right down. I stopped (could have continued, as there was a cycle lane), waved him through, and called out "Don't be afraid, I'm only a cyclist!". About 200 metres further on, I joined a queue of cars, stopping to (politely) inform a driver that his nearside brake light wasn't working. Then I started filtering, on the left. The next car was the learner. The instructor had her window down, and loudly berated me for making an obscene gesture and swearing at her learner. Unusually calmly, I explained that I'd noticed the learner appeared nervous, and had used a signal which would be instantly recognised if used by a PC directing traffic, and asked her how on earth she could construe it as obscene. I also repeated what I had called out, and asked whether she'd deliberately mis-heard me because I was on a bike. Then I asked her if she'd noticed me stop and have a word with the driver behind her - she had - and told her what I'd said to him, and how he was grateful for the info. That's one instructor cured of her prejudice about cyclists; we've had a few friendly conversations since then.

G-Zero

Über Member
I've had a few words with Driving Instructors over the years....

My favourite one was when I spotted what I thought was a breakdown on a bend, on a sliproad to the A19, when I saw a school car parked up with its hazard lights on.
I pulled up behind it to assist and walked to the passenger side, rather than bother the young lady behind the wheel. When I asked the Instructor if everything was ok, I got the reply "Yes thanks, we're just doing a few highway code signs".
He wasn't very happy when I asked him to look up the sign for 'Clearway' and to check if it was similar to the ones he had just passed.

It was only a 70 mph dual carriageway :banghead:

Jezston

Über Member
Got cut up by a driving instructor going through a pinch point, despite me holding hand out to suggest she slows down and lets me through first. Got the finger in response.

She never replied to my email.

Top Bottom