Drop bar angle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Is there a recognised position for the angle of the drops on a road bike?

The reason i ask is i have had 2 identical bikes recently (one was a replacement) and the ride position appears different because of the drops on the second. I have adjusted them up slightly for comfort but cannot seem to find the sweet spot.

Thoughts?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Any chance of a side on picture?
Drop bars do have different angles and not every likes the same. But I'm guessing the shop just hasn't put the hood in the right place.

OP
OP
B

billy1561

BB wrecker
Any chance of a side on picture?
Drop bars do have different angles and not every likes the same. But I'm guessing the shop just hasn't put the hood in the right place.

No idea how to upload a pic Gaz sorry. Only have the one and it appears the top of the hoods are inline with the stem if you follow what i mean? That was the comfy position which i have tried to replicate.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Where the bars curve from the straight stem section and goes towards the drop, that should be horizontal with the hood attached as an extension to that horizontal section.

There was a picture posted somewhere on the forums recently that showed how it should look but I'm on my phone ATM and can't find it

brockers

Where the bars curve from the straight stem section and goes towards the drop, that should be horizontal with the hood attached as an extension to that horizontal section.

It does depend on the shape of the bars. A lot of pro roadies use classic drop bars where there isn't really a flat section on the 'drop' part to speak of, but if you're on ergos or compacts, then something like this.

211v66s.jpg

If you find you have to tilt the hoods and bars up and back like many seem to, then I'd suggest that you need a shorter a stem or a different frame.

Top Bottom