Drop bar width?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

talisman50082

What are the pros and cons of drop bar width. Could i transfer my hybrid brake/shifter units to the bar centre? It would work,but have never seen it in action. Going to raise the bar so that the drops are where the hoods normally sit. Maybe worth a try ,i can always fit STI later.

OP
OP
T

talisman50082

May try Origin 8 bar ends

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I read somewhere that if you stick your arms out straight in front of you , they should fall naturally on the hoods. My first road bike had bars that were about 50mm wider than my current one. The narrower bars feel so much better.

Colin_P

Guru
I've just got a new road bike and like you wasn't too happy with the handlebar position. There are a few things you can do...

1, Flip the stem to gain some height. I tried this but it wasn't enough.
2, Change the stem. I bought a 35 degree stem with a shorter reach, problem solved with regards to position.
3, Fit some 'cross top' brake levers. I did this tonight but haven't test ridden as yet.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Hold the bars up to you. The bar ends should be about the width of your shoulders, or a wee bit shy of that. You should have brakes you can rest your hands on, with hoods, but travel may be a problem, esp. with Vee brakes. How about a set of these?
http://www.amazon.com/Origin-Bicycl...r_1_9?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1415755712&sr=1-9
I think your original instinct is the easiest, to get this accomplished.
Might think of trekking bars as well.

boydj

Legendary Member
What are the pros and cons of drop bar width. Could i transfer my hybrid brake/shifter units to the bar centre? It would work,but have never seen it in action. Going to raise the bar so that the drops are where the hoods normally sit. Maybe worth a try ,i can always fit STI later.
Shifters and brakes may not be transferable as the diameters of drop bars and flat bars are often different.

Top Bottom