Drop handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Doh See Sticky above !!

TurboTurkey

I find that 'drop' handlebars combined with the type of brake levers shown on the bike give a variety of positions including the aero 'tucked' one. You can get them in a variety of widths to best suit your shoulder width. Wrap plenty of tape around them and you get an insulated grip that will absorb some vibration too. I have always ridden with them and use a bar bag. In the cold weather my favourite hand position is in the centre of the bars, at each side of the stem so my fingers are tucked away behind the bulk of the bag and out of the wind.

Bodger

Problem with putting drops on a MTB is that it moves your hands forward several inches. This may leave you in an overly stretched out position, esp on those MTBs that already have long TTs like imbreds, some GTs, etc. You can try and counter this by shortening the stem, but then the steering might become a little sharp when up on the flats.
But, on the other hand, if you started with an MTB with an upright position then you might be OK.

Bodger said:
Problem with putting drops on a MTB is that it moves your hands forward several inches. This may leave you in an overly stretched out position, esp on those MTBs that already have long TTs like imbreds, some GTs, etc. You can try and counter this by shortening the stem, but then the steering might become a little sharp when up on the flats.
But, on the other hand, if you started with an MTB with an upright position then you might be OK.

I would have guessed to go the other way and the drop bars be too close to properly use. I am not sure where I got the idea but I thought a Mountain bike (which this is leaning towards) was shorter and more compact where a racer with drops was longer and lower.
If I hold the top crossrail on my drop bars I am still more forward than on a mountain bike/hybrid.

I think that if you want a racing bike then buy one, it is a lot of messing and cost swaping it round to find you have an uncomfortable bike. Configuration of saddle and pedals may also be different and saddle will not be right as your seating position changes.

Bodger

you are correct in saying that the overall reach on a drop barred road bike is longer than an MTB with flats. You normally hold the break hoods, so if you take the flat bar off the MTB and replace with dropped bar then your hands will now be further forward than they were on the flat bar. Thus, if you were comfortable with the flat bar position the next position might be too stretched.
whether this would make the bike longer than a 'normal' road bike in your size depends upon the frame that you start with. When I converted a GT by adding drops it came out a couple of inches longer than my tourer. Without the drops it was slightly shorter...but then the GT was an all out racing XC machine, a more upright MTB would have given a different result.