Dropout savers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrfacetious

Veteran
Long story short, i've stripped the thread on my hanger and I'm not sure if it's worth getting one. Halfrauds (shudder) say they can get a hanger for £15 (though i'm not sure how good it'll be) and to order a dropout saver online is going to cost a tenner. Two things :
-Is it going to be worth saving a fiver? Has anybody used one?
-If I did choose the saver route - what sized drill bit do i need to use?
If it's any help it's a road bike.
Nice one guys

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'd get a new hanger for £15. it's a lot of money for a bit of alloy but for the sake of a fiver.....

OP
OP
mrfacetious

mrfacetious

Veteran
thanks for your reply, but my bad, a second call to a better halfords says dropouts are £24 and they have to order them - they're 22.50 online and they're not exactly difficult to fit.. so now it's for the sake of over a tenner.. hmm

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
GrahamG said:
I thought mech hangers were fairly generic? Perhaps look about on-line to see if there are alternatives available?
Not really.

Within brands they can be (mine fits a range of Giant road bikes, for example) but there's no standard, as such. £20 ish sounds about right - Giant ones are cheaper, for some reason, but I do remember from last time I was looking for one that those of other brands seemed to hover around the £20-£30 mark.

kyuss

Veteran
Hangers are £16 on BETD. With 200 different hangers covering pretty much every manufacturer, if they don't sell it, it probably doesn't exist.

OP
OP
mrfacetious

mrfacetious

Veteran
Well thanks for all your replies but my dad took the hanger out with him yesterday and managed to get the thread rebored for free *wipes forehead* phew..
What a godsend
cheers guys!

Top Bottom