Dropper post and short legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pysgotwr

Hello, I am new to the forum so if somebody has already answered this question I apologize in advance.
I have just bought a bike with a dropper post. When the saddle is raised it is about 1.5 inches 3.8 cm too high. The post is lowered as far as it will go so somebody suggested I fit really thick flat MTB pedals at the same time as buying a saddle with very low rails. This would in effect reduce the distance from my rear end to the pedals.
Searching online produces vast amounts of contradictory and confusing info – so to come to the point, can anybody recommend super thick flat pedals and saddles with low rails that do not cost a fortune.
Thanks Peter

Hello, I am new to the forum so if somebody has already answered this question I apologize in advance.
I have just bought a bike with a dropper post. When the saddle is raised it is about 1.5 inches 3.8 cm too high. The post is lowered as far as it will go so somebody suggested I fit really thick flat MTB pedals at the same time as buying a saddle with very low rails. This would in effect reduce the distance from my rear end to the pedals.
Searching online produces vast amounts of contradictory and confusing info – so to come to the point, can anybody recommend super thick flat pedals and saddles with low rails that do not cost a fortune.
Thanks Peter

Welcome to Cyclechat. I can't help with your problem of the dropper post, but I do have short legs so I appreciate your issue!
1.5" seems like a lot to have to compensate.
Would it be possible to buy a shorter post, or to have the post itself shortened without affecting its functionality.
Fitting shorter cranks would also help I'd think - quite a lot of companies do them nowadays, in various different types. I'd think multiple small adjustments would be of assistance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What's the 'drop' on your dropper - you may need to change it. If you can't get one short enough (they range from 100mm drop to 170mm) then a standard post will have to do.

fossyant

My dropper is 120, and just has 5mm of 'spare' post, I was lucky. MrsF's MTB is the same, but on a 100mm post, but we were given the post by a friend when we bought the bike off him. She uses the post 'dropped' to get onto the full suspension bike.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
My dropper is 120, and just has 5mm of 'spare' post, I was lucky. MrsF's MTB is the same, but on a 100mm post, but we were given the post by a friend when we bought the bike off him. She uses the post 'dropped' to get onto the full suspension bike.

Also very handy when you stop on a full susser, hit the lever and feet are on the floor and stable.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
You say you bought the bike with the dropper post. But do you need the dropper post? Why not just replace it with a plain one?

If not, these will be cheaper than the pedals:

Screenshot_20221002-145208.png

;):laugh:

Last edited:

fossyant

You say you bought the bike with the dropper post. But do you need the dropper post? Why not just replace it with a plain one?

If not, these will be cheaper than the pedals:

View attachment 663142

;):laugh:

FS bikes sit alot higher than normal bikes un-weighted. Some folk can't get on them. Dead handy for me when my back packs up.

Jody

Stubborn git
1.5" is too much to compensate in footwear/pedals so your only option will be to change it.

I've got really short legs and had to be careful when sourcing a dropper as if had to clear the top pivot when being fully inserted which would allow me to run a 125mm. This is the maximum I could get away with and it only left a few mm post insertion to play with. More than that and I would have had to run a 100mm but that wouldn't allow a it to drop right down to the top tube.

Or your other option, if your not altering the height a lot when riding is to just set the saddle an inch lower when bringing the post back up.

OP
OP
P

Pysgotwr

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, I particularly like the platform suede boots. If they were available in orange I would get some. Fortunately a friend who is a fanatical collector of bike parts had a spare post with less travel so all is now well. Thanks again Peter

Top Bottom