Dropping by to say hi :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suse

A quick hello to the cyclechat forum folks :hello:

I've been lurking on your forum for a few days now, reading with avid interest the various threads, and so I thought it's only common decency to register and acknowledge the help I've already had -so thanks everyone.

My story is that after some persuasion from my OH I ditched my car in January and have been walking the 3 miles to and from work ever since (though admittedly I sometimes get a bus home). To be honest it wasn't a difficult choice as I was spending a small fortune for the privilege of owning a vehicle that covered less that 500 miles last year.

Whilst walking I see lots of commuting cyclists -and although I really enjoy the walking - the idea of this mode of transport appeals to me, that and the fact that my OH has been a commuter cyclist for a little over 3 years doing on average an 18mile round trip everyday -getting leaner and fitter. There's no doubting the health benefits cycliing has to offer.

So about a week ago I used a rather idle Saturday afternoon to pop into a local bike shop, with the sole intention of exploring my options, with no further commitment. Well, a few hours later I walked out of the shop with a rather nice (well for me anyway) Ridgeback Rapide Speed Open Frame -much to the surprise of my OH.

I've been out on the bike several times now, though just for a few miles (2-3) and mostly along rural roads (I live in Norfolk, so plenty of countryside to choose from). At the moment I just want to get a feel for the bike and build my confidence. I was never one of those, jump on a bike and never fear kinda kids - I fell off too often for that :laugh:
On Sunday my OH decided I needed to step things up a little and we went on a 9 mile ride -which was very enjoyable. Well, it was most of the time -after I'd negotiated a few mountains!! (okay, small inclines, but mountainous to my poorly legs and total lack of stamina).

I've set myself a target to build up my stamina slowly (am asthmatic and, well, unfit basically) and then aim to cycle to work perhaps two or three times a week. As I say, I do enjoy the walk in as I like to plug myself into my mp3 and let the world drift by -so I want to do both.

What I aim to do is to get out on the weekends and enjoy the freedom, get fit and explore the countryside around me. In addition to that -my OH takes part in the Norwich 50/100 event every year and I'd love to be able to do that in 2012....so I've got a target in mind, as far as stamina and fitness goals go -time will tell!

I will continue to work my way through the various threads, so as to avoid asking something that's been 'asked to death'. But if I do happen to touch on something that *yawn* has been done over and over... feel free to point that out (I don't offend easily).

Well that's me introduced and I look forward to getting to know some of you -or simply being part of this community.

Suse

That's a nice story! Welcome to the forum- have fun! (I haven't driven a vehicle since Nov 2009. Driven people mad daily I suspect. :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Welcome - I remember cycling in Norfolk and discovering it wasn't quite as flat as a pancake as I had thought!

I will continue to work my way through the various threads, so as to avoid asking something that's been 'asked to death'. But if I do happen to touch on something that *yawn* has been done over and over... feel free to point that out (I don't offend easily).

I wouldn't worry too much about repeating questions ... it always seems to be slightly different than a question that has been asked previously when it's your own question (apart from helmets ... there can't be a single thing about helmets that hasn't been covered in the past repeatedly!!!) :biggrin:

Sonofpear

Welcome along. Seems like there's more and more people taking up cycling and ditching the cars as the price of owning one rises ever upwards.
Would just like to say I have asthma too and sports was always a problem when I was younger. The doctors changed my inhalers a couple of years ago and I've never been better. Just take it easy and build up yout stamina slowly. It's great that you've set some goals and I'm sure with a little hard work you can reach them.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome to the forum Suse :welcome:It all starts with a innocuous trip the local bike shop, Look where it gets many of us.:bicycle: :bicycle: Too many bikes, well, you can never have too many, just not enough sheds.

OP
OP
S

Suse

Thanks everyone - what a nice welcome. I feel (almost) one of the crowd now, just need to get to know the cycling lingo so I can keep up with you all
biggrin.gif

Summerdays - yep, Norfolk having a flat landscape is a bit of a myth and my Sunday jaunt proved that beyond a doubt. I had to laugh - the number of cyclists that whizzed past me with a quick backwards and sympathetic glance. I didn't give up though and just dropped down to the lowest gear possible where I needed to and we're talking 1st gear and 1st level - yikes!

I'm fairly happy with my bike choice though - mind you, I don't know much about bikes - so I've nothing to compare it too really. But it's a start and I hope will stand me in good stead for the next few years, maybe with just a few tweaks here and there. Maybe a more comfy saddle for a start - ouch!

My only problem at the moment is gears - I just can't quite find the right level and move up and down them a lot -but that's probably more to do with my general lack of fitness.

Hope to see more norfolk buddies out on the road as I find my bike legs (so to speak), who knows, one day I might even manage to keep up with you :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wouldn't immediately junk the saddle ... your derrière needs to "harden" a little as you get used to cycling. Just give it a day or two break in between rides to let it get used to cycling. (Apart from anything finding a new saddle to suit you is nearly impossible and usually requires buying several to try). You could try cycling shorts which are padded.

OP
OP
S

Suse

Welcome from another Norwichite

Come and join us when you're ready on a Tuesday evening

Thanks - will keep that in mind for the future. Is it an informal sort of gathering, or is this a bike club related activity and whereabouts do you go?

My only problem at the moment is gears - I just can't quite find the right level and move up and down them a lot -but that's probably more to do with my general lack of fitness.
People on here will have different opinions on this (but isn't that what a forums for?) but here's mine. I ride a triple and spend most of the time on the middle ring. Try and keep your cadence around the 80-90 mark and pick a gear to enable you to do that. I drop to the inner ring in strong winds (like today) and increase cadence as it just seems easier to me.

Then again everyone is different. Find something that's comfortable for you and welcome :biggrin:

Top Bottom