DSLR camera - basic question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Can anyone helps with this question?

I posted this question in the Photography section, but I don't think it gets many visitors, so repeated here...
Sorry for the basic question:

DSLR stands for 'Digital Single Lens Reflex'...so how come you can change lenses on a DSLR camera?

Why is it called 'Single Lens'?

Thanks​

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
SLR relates to the light path between the lens and viewfinder and sensor. There is a single path in a SLR, the light comes through the lens, hits the mirror, bounces up onto the viewfinder prism, when you take an image the mirror flips up out of the way then the shutter actuates. It is not referring to the interchangeable lens system.

Other camera's, for example rangefinders work differently, splitting the light through two paths, one to viewfinder, one to sensor plane.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
SLR relates to the light path between the lens and viewfinder and sensor. There is a single path in a SLR, the light comes through the lens, hits the mirror, bounces up onto the viewfinder prism, when you take an image the mirror flips up out of the way then the shutter actuates. It is not referring to the interchangeable lens system.

Other camera's, for example rangefinders work differently, splitting the light through two paths, one to viewfinder, one to sensor plane.
The penny drops! Thank you!
I guess in the old cameras, you had a separate viewfinder which was a 'rough guide' to what would be captured in the image.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes or with rangefinders you have 2 images, 1 moves as you focus, you fiddle the dial until they meld into one to set your focus.

Top Bottom