Dual Carriageways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
The inevitable end state of what you're suggesting is the exclusion of vulnerable road users on all A roads.
Well, given the two roads below share the same 'A' classification, maybe the classification needs some modification to prevent the blanket exclusion you fear.

A30.jpg

Incidentally, the top photo is the A30 near Okehampton, the bottom photo the A30 in Chard. You can go from Scotland to a few miles short of Truro before you have to negotiate a roundabout, if you go via the A30, and you won't see any traffic lights before you run out of Cornwall.

400bhp

Guru
Really:rolleyes:

Wobblers

Euthermic
You might be right. You might not. It's not a given that is where we would end up.

For one, the low KSI for DC could be for several reasons, not least because you need to allow for volume of cyclists on each type of road, which KSI as a number doesn't do.

Perhaps certain roads could be a different classification of road.

KSI per kilometre travelled, so it most certainly does.

I'll see if I can find those numbers, it's not much use arguing over a vague half-recollection which may well be incorrect. (Well, we could, but this isn't CA&D! :smile:)

Wobblers

Euthermic
Well, given the two roads below share the same 'A' classification, maybe the classification needs some modification to prevent the blanket exclusion you fear.

And do you think they'd go to the effort of creating yet another classification, or would they pander to the motoring lobby who see vulnerable road users as an impediment to fast travelling vehicles? (Hint: the first involves extra work whilst the second requires being taken out for pleasant meals by lobbyists.)

I cycle regularly on the Halesowen bypass which is a national speed limit DC rather like your first example. I've never had any bad experiences or close passes whatsoever on it. It becomes a single lane A road past Hagley similar to your second example, which is decidedly less safe - I tend to avoid that section if possible.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Without going off topic, how or if you do dual carriageways depends entirely on the road.
In Manchester on ones with narrow lanes (Upper Brook Street), I've maintained primary in the nearside lane and been fine. The ones with a wide nearside lane (Kingsway)are much more tricky. I've done secondary in the nearside lane and theoretically there is enough room for you and a car. However you'll always get a twat (usually driving a wide 4x4) that will steam past you clipping your arm.

Never had an issue on the A34 Kingsway section myself (wide). Ride a good secondary (over 1m from the curb). Never had a close pass.
No issues either on the narrower section near the Uni's - primary near the hospitals with the parked cars, and just then either own the inner lane or take strong secondary from the Aquatics down towards the Mancunion way. A34 is much better than through Wilmslow Road/Rusholme.

PS big changes near Manchester Royal shortly. Big road works on A34 with Hathersage Road, widening it for the new 'detour' for the Oxford Road 'Corridor', so the traffic is going to be manic till March 14. Then the work will start on Oxford Road to ban cars !

martint235

Dog on a bike

A30.jpg

Incidentally, the top photo is the A30 near Okehampton, the bottom photo the A30 in Chard. You can go from Scotland to a few miles short of Truro before you have to negotiate a roundabout, if you go via the A30, and you won't see any traffic lights before you run out of Cornwall.
I'm not sure which you're saying is worse. Personally I'd rather be on the top one with loads of room than have some numpty trying to squeeze past me at 30mph+

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm not sure which you're saying is worse. Personally I'd rather be on the top one with loads of room than have some numpty trying to squeeze past me at 30mph+
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I was cycling this way yesterday, and thought of this thread. It all depends what your definition of 'loads of room' is:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I was cycling this way yesterday, and thought of this thread. It all depends what your definition of 'loads of room' is:

On the dual carriageway there's a whole other lane for the cars to use. The one over the bridge there isn't and a car would be more likely to try to push past you rather than wait for oncoming traffic to allow room.

400bhp

Guru
On the dual carriageway there's a whole other lane for the cars to use. The one over the bridge there isn't and a car would be more likely to try to push past you rather than wait for oncoming traffic to allow room.

No different than cars occupying both lanes on the DC and driver in the inside lane pushes past you rather than waiting for a gap to pull out into the second lane.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Edit: holy thread revival!

I cycled (legally) quite a few times from Tuxford to Newark on the A1 back in the 80s, as well as negotiating the old Markham Moor roundabout. It's not something I'd even come to close to contemplating now. As Sheepy1209 said, I don't think my risk avoidance had fully kicked in (adolescent brain not fully developed in other words). However, I'm sure there are some dual carriageways that aren't that bad where perhaps the traffic is heavy and the speed limit reduced -I suppose you have to look at each road to see if it is for you.

Today, let alone dual carriageways, I avoid (when ever practically possible) roads and intersections I consider dangerous. I think you have to evaluate where you cycle and work out if it is worth it (even if it is legal). Ultimately, you're the best safety device on your bicycle.

I remember as a teenager during the long, boring summer holidays going out on a bike ride and ending up riding along the A1 south of Bawtry (I lived near Gainsborough)

martint235

Dog on a bike
No different than cars occupying both lanes on the DC and driver in the inside lane pushes past you rather than waiting for a gap to pull out into the second lane.
True but in my experience some/most drivers will try to use that extra space to allow you space. If you cycle in the carriageway (where you're meant to be) you also have that 1m/1.5m space you can dive into if you really have to.
Today, let alone dual carriageways, I avoid (when ever practically possible) roads and intersections I consider dangerous. I think you have to evaluate where you cycle and work out if it is worth it (even if it is legal). Ultimately, you're the best safety device on your bicycle.
Couldn't agree more. One of the very few pieces of road I'll go out of my way to avoid is a X roads on a narrow A road in SE London. I was knocked off there whilst travelling at walking pace by a car similarly travelling a walking pace whose driver had seen me, looked me in the eyes and then drove into the side of me before driving off. Give me the A2 any day!

Luke Redpath

Cycled on a small section of the A13 yesterday maybe 0.5 of a mile man that was scary lorries thundering past at full tilt and the pot holes were like swimming pools.

Which bit? There's a very decent cycle superhighway running along most of it (from Barking to central London, although the cycle path continues further on towards Dagenham).

Edit: doh, just realised this is an old thread.

Top Bottom