Dual pivot brake question?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechMech

On my Boardman Hybrid it doesn't have v-brake mounts, but does have the holes for mounting the dual pivot side pull brakes (common on racing bikes).

I was thinking of changing the disc brakes for the above ones to save weight, and obviously I'd have to change the wheels for standard road ones with a rim braking surface, but my question is....

...can the dual pivot brakes be operated by normal v-brake/mechanical disc levers? or would I have to purchase another type?

It just that after doing some research into this, CRC seems to sell flat bar brakes for road bikes see here, but how are these different from the v-brake ones?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
the amount of cable they pull, v-brake levers pull almost double the amount of cable road levers do.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Road brakes worked by v-brake levers don't work very well - there isn't much power.

With road brake systems, there's a lot of leverage in the lever, but not much in the caliper.
With V-brakes, there's not much leverage in the lever, but a lot at the brake.

With a V lever and road calipers there's not much leverage so you have to squeeze very hard.
With a road lever and V-brakes, there's lots of available power, but the blocks move such a short distance that they are only usable on very true wheels for a fairly short time (after which the cable needs adjusting).

yashicamat

To be honest, I would just stick with the original brakes. I have in the past interchanged different brake technologies with different levers and they always have big downfalls, although most will make a working brake . . . just not a very good one.

Could you change the brake levers? Ones designed for cantilever brakes (standard MTB cantis I mean) *should* be pulling about the right amount of cable for duel pivot brakes.

Other thing to check is the drop; most duel pivot brakes drop to a maximum of 49mm, which I would hazard a guess is insufficient for anything other than a dedicated road bike. You can get long reach brakes though.

Final option; get some lighter, better spec mechanical disc brakes? Or even better still, get hydraulics . . . .

Jonathan M

I'd keep the discs TBH. Weight saving, yes, but the advantages of discs over rims are many. Plus the cost you would be incurring - brakes, wheels, levers - could be approaching £200 if you go for a decent quality wheelset.

Deeper dual pivot brakes are available, but often these are difficult to track down. I've got some Tektro ones, and they are nowhere near as good as the Veloce on my nicer bike.

Dave5N

Über Member
andrew_s said:
Road brakes worked by v-brake levers don't work very well - there isn't much power.

With road brake systems, there's a lot of leverage in the lever, but not much in the caliper.
With V-brakes, there's not much leverage in the lever, but a lot at the brake.

With a V lever and road calipers there's not much leverage so you have to squeeze very hard.
With a road lever and V-brakes, there's lots of available power, but the blocks move such a short distance that they are only usable on very true wheels for a fairly short time (after which the cable needs adjusting).

EXPLAIN!

Top Bottom