Dumb Tubeless question(s) of the day…..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Going forward: what makes this sidewall to wheel rim connection so limpet-like ?

And is this down to the tyre or rim design or both ?

It is a combination of both, tubeless rims and tires are manufactured to precise tolerances to make sure they stay put. Your wheels are just unaware that there's a tube in there and just sealing like they were designed to do.

From what I can gather though, there is no "one" defined standard meaning that certain tire/rim combos can be a right pain and others a dream. On my Kona I have WTB rimmed wheels and no matter what tire I use, I need to get medieval on them to remove them, there's no way there ever coming off out on the trial. In contrast the Sonder rims on my mountain bike are a dream and the tires pop off under relatively light thumb pressure.

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
IOn my Kona I have WTB rimmed wheels and no matter what tire I use, I need to get medieval on them to remove them, there's no way there ever coming off out on the trial. In contrast the Sonder rims on my mountain bike are a dream and the tires pop off under relatively light thumb pressure.

Great info on the ‘why’ - Thankyou 😎 And makes sense…..

I was really wondering if the next tyres I get - could make my life easier. As not being able to remove / or damaging a tyre trying; in the middle of nowhere worries me; as such if I’m honest…..😳

Sounds like with current rims - that might be a no.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Another dumb question then 😁- if I put sealer in a tube in a tubeless tyre , blow it up so it seats , if I get a pinch puncture , hole too big in inner tube to seal , so air and sealer oozes out of inner tube - but still in tyre ! If there’s a little leak on tyre then sealer will fix ?! Win win

geocycle

Legendary Member
Another dumb question then 😁- if I put sealer in a tube in a tubeless tyre , blow it up so it seats , if I get a pinch puncture , hole too big in inner tube to seal , so air and sealer oozes out of inner tube - but still in tyre ! If there’s a little leak on tyre then sealer will fix ?! Win win
Would be great but the air will escape through the valve core. Tubeless are almost brilliant but not quite perfect!

Top Bottom