E-bike battery health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don't need to check it every day - tape a piece of paper to it and note the charge every few weeks
You should see it drop slowly
If you want to be extra sure then take it for a long ride at some point so it drops to minimal charge left then measure it before charging it again
Then measure it when fully charged and you know the range

I would note that there are some batteries where you cannot check the charge due to complicated internal stuff - Bosch for example
However my Bosh has a button and some LEDs so you can check it easily - I suppose some others may be more difficult

nickb

Guru
Thank you - but I don't know how I would check the voltage of the Mahle internal battery. They use a unique charging port. However battery levels can easily be checked using their app.
I detect a somewhat censorious tone to your comment regarding bike usage and sale - when my bike was left fully charged I had every intention of using it within the next 12 hours - before I could do that I was laid low for the next 6 weeks, almost hospitalized, by a severe Covid-like viral infection. I would normally be riding throughout the year, all seasons. Sometimes one's activities are affected by circumstances beyond one's control :okay:

Most packs will have some contact points where you could poke a voltmeter in but it sounds like you're sorted via the app.

I wasn't being 'censorious', just having a joke. Although 6 weeks is nowhere near enough time to have to worry about a lithium pack discharging too low if it's been put in 'storage mode'. They can go much longer without having to top-up. If they drain quickly when just left alone, that would indicate a serious problem where the pack is probably knackered.

Trust me on this, I have some very expensive packs (>£1000 each) here that I leave for many months without using.

Top Bottom