E-bike mechanical upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lottejc

Does any body have any suggestions of upgrades to make to my e-bike to increase speed when battery is running low? I’ve changed tyres to slicks, any other suggestions would be welcomed!

I’ve attached image of the rear wheel hub, if somebody could let me know if a gear cassette would fit here would also be grateful! Cheers

Attachments

• 5B642C5D-2BBA-4051-A136-130C9C63D5AA.jpeg
    5B642C5D-2BBA-4051-A136-130C9C63D5AA.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 3

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
There's no derailleur hanger so it looks like you're limited to internal hub gears.
Shimano, Sturmey Archer and others make them in various price brackets.
More gears won't make the bike run faster on a low battery though. Smaller cogs which lead to more speed will only make the motor work harder requiring more juice from the battery. Bigger cogs will help the motor run easier but at slower speed.
Your best bet really is keeping the battery topped up. Letting it run low is bad for it.
Slick tyres aren't really the answer although you're going in the right direction. What you want is lightweight tyres with minimal rolling resistance and higher pressures. The higher pressures though lead to a harsher ride and reduced grip.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
pedal harder!

I assume it runs a bit slower on low battery as inbuilt battery saving device to extend the assisted range.

There's no derailleur hanger so it looks like you're limited to internal hub gears.
its single speed by the looks of it - there ain't no gears in that hub

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
pedal harder!

I assume it runs a bit slower on low battery as inbuilt battery saving device to extend the assisted range.

its single speed by the looks of it - there ain't no gears in that hub
Nay, batteries naturally put out less power as they drain.

I was suggesting hub gears as the only option for an upgrade.

Top Bottom