E-scooter rider banned for Drink Driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The fact that its was electric power was largely an irrelevance. That it could do 40mph means he was riding an unregistered, uninsured A1 light motorcycle, without the requisite licence or CBT. If he'd been doing it on a 40mpg unregistered internal combustion motocross bike he'd be commiting the same offences.

A1 category motorcycles are motor vehicles and mechanically propelled vehicles, ergo all the usual inconvenient drink drive rules apply, ergo he got fingered in court. The local plods accredited vehicle examiner will have described to the court what category of motor vehicle a powered 2 wheeler of that weight and performance would come under.

D

Deleted member 26715

I wonder why they only went for the DD charge & not prosecute him for all the other offences?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The local plods accredited vehicle examiner will have described to the court what category of motor vehicle a powered 2 wheeler of that weight and performance would come under.

He won't because the guy was not charged with any vehicle construction and use offences.

I wonder why they only went for the DD charge & not prosecute him for all the other offences?

The other offences, essentially using a vehicle not approved for the road, only carry a small fine, so there's no point in charging those when he is to be banned, fined, and ordered to pay a few grand in compo for the drink driving.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Yes, but you have to be DRUNK, as in, pretty much out of it. There is no "prescribed limit" in the way that there is for a mechanically propelled vehicle. Long may that remain the case!

I read somewhere that the police can't breathalyze you, but they can assess whether you are drunk by such methods as asking you to walk in a straight line or to touch your nose. However, you can be done on bridleways as well as roads, if you are unlucky enough to come across a policeman while cycling drunk on a bridleway.

D

Deleted member 26715

I read somewhere that the police can't breathalyze you, but they can assess whether you are drunk by such methods as asking you to walk in a straight line or to touch your nose. However, you can be done on bridleways as well as roads, if you are unlucky enough to come across a policeman while cycling drunk on a bridleway.
But if the Policeman was drunk whilst cycling, surely you could ask him to breathalyse himself!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
https://www.micro-scooters.co.uk/community/2019/07/electric-scooters-law-uk/

Do you need a licence for adult electric scooters?
No
, you are not required to have a driver’s licence or learners permit in order to use an electric scooter because it cannot be used on roads.

Do I need to register or tax an adult electric scooter?
No
, you do not need to register an electric scooter and it is tax exempt because it cannot be used on roads.

Riding an e-scooter on the road is riding an illegal untaxed vehicle ie legally equivalent to driving an untaxed illegal car

This still doesn't stop, IMHO, somewhat selfish people who whizz along cyclepaths on these things.

D

Deleted member 26715

This still doesn't stop, IMHO, somewhat selfish people who whizz along cyclepaths on these things.
There are selfish people everywhere, I was nearly knocked over this morning by a selfish person on an e-bike who thought it acceptable to be riding full tilt up a pedestrian precinct in Sheffield.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
There are selfish people everywhere, I was nearly knocked over this morning by a selfish person on an e-bike who thought it acceptable to be riding full tilt up a pedestrian precinct in Sheffield.

Their logic seems to be 'Sod the law, I will use this until it changes'

Top Bottom