east yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jenno

Hi. I'm already getting bored of the turbo trainer and its not even Christmas yet and nor have I even been that dedicated.
With a tough may sportive on my radar, I seriously need to get some miles in, so I'm planning on riding a couple of nights a week on the Yorkshire wolds.
My first questions are

does anybody know of any organised rides on a night that I could join along with?
If not , does anyone have any experience of riding on their own around dark country lanes? Is it safe? Any tips?

many thanks

colly

Re member eR
does anyone have any experience of riding on their own around dark country lanes? Is it safe? Any tips?
many thanks

Dark lanes are fine. You just need good lights, a back-up just in case and ride not so fast as you can't stop within the reach of your lights.
I really enjoy night riding. The darker the better. ^_^

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My turbo training career lasted a total of one hour before deciding being on a bike outdoors was infinitely preferable to the boredom of being on a turbo. Night riding is perfectly fine and safe. If anything you stand a better chance of sensing motorised traffic at night by being able to see headlight glare/flare. You will also have the added pleasure of seeing wildlife that you'd not see otherwise - barn owls have been my most regular sighting.

Take spare inner tubes and have a puncture out fit as a back up. It's easier and quicker to replace a tube than to repair a puncture in the dark. I've always used hub dynamo powered LED front lighting and found that the illumination to be sufficiently good for my night time speeds to be the same as my day time speeds, fast descents excepted. For rear lighting I use a Cateye TLD1000 with retina searing dark penetration.

I cannot recommend battery powered front lights as I have no knowledge of their efficacy.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
know your routes by daylight - the last thing you want is an unexpected pothole or turn to throw you literally.

riding at night feels different - so the route takes on different nuances, your senses are heightened - sound amplified; with a full moon the roads become spectacular, with tonight's fog you will be glad to be home

as above spare tube, mobile, back up / 2 lights

beats the turbo & feels as safe as daytime, as noted you can be seen / see further, my times are generally slower / more cuatious

I find clear lenses & helmet with a (adjustable if possible) visor useful to block out headlights that can blind you - even if not full beam.

http://www.veloclubbeverley.org.uk/club-rides/

Top Bottom