Easy beginner routes in Northumberland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
Smog ridden and dangerous are not words I'd have ever used to describe Tynemouth. Or hell hole for that matter.
The bit from the castle north towards Cullercoats has always been a bit of a nightmare, the road being the only real feasible option.
Cars competing to park added to the congestion and danger. The current one way sanitisation helps immensely, especially for pedestrians who seem to have already much increased in numbers.

My preferred route for the route north from the Tyne Tunnel to Seaton Sluice is to join route 10 for a traffic free journey from Percy Main to Earlsdon.
Totally stress free in comparison. I now only do that coast section on rare occasions.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
The bit from the castle north towards Cullercoats has always been a bit of a nightmare, the road being the only real feasible option.
Cars competing to park added to the congestion and danger. The current one way sanitisation helps immensely, especially for pedestrians who seem to have already much increased in numbers.

My preferred route for the route north from the Tyne Tunnel to Seaton Sluice is to join route 10 for a traffic free journey from Percy Main to Earlsdon.
Totally stress free in comparison. I now only do that coast section on rare occasions.

... You have a very different perception of that stretch of road than I do, which even at its busiest I've never found anything like that. The pavements are huge, the roads are wide and there's the promenade too now.

albion

Guru
... You have a very different perception of that stretch of road than I do, which even at its busiest I've never found anything like that. The pavements are huge, the roads are wide and there's the promenade too now.

Days I go the pavements are mainly no go, it often being simplest to stay on the road to the St Marys lighthouse turn. Then you get traffic free. But like I said, why have the hassle when you have a clean air waggonway almost right up to Earlsdon?

AndyRM

XOXO
Days I go the pavements are mainly no go, it often being simplest to stay on the road to the St Marys lighthouse turn. Then you get traffic free. But like I said, why have the hassle when you have a clean air waggonway almost right up to Earlsdon?

The road after St Mary's is lethal! Speed limit increase and too narrow to pass safely because it's generally two way traffic, especially if it's busy.

Certainly had more close passes there than anywhere along the sea front.

albion

Guru
Strange, I did it yesterday, it being the same as usual. Plus they can also hear your bell which is not the case on the busy roadside cycle path.

I did a ride up to Earsdon anti clockwise(anyone lost a pump?) everything being fine to bear Cullercoats. Maybe I was hasty in thinking pedestrian spillage will cause problems on the forthcoming new cycle lane. For now the parallel back streets by the Metro line looks a good bet for next time.

AndyRM

XOXO
We're either thinking about different roads or like I said before have very different perceptions of the area.

What new cycle lane? The one on that little stretch at the roundabout where the surf cafe is? Or any of the other random ones which have sprung up around the place? The one down Esplanade in Whitley Bay is utterly pointless.

albion

Guru
Sound like you never cycle to Tynemouth Castle and Priory.
It is the £10 million one fairly close to being done. Some bits are now doable but sadly shared while they work on the pedestrian path.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
I know the one you mean. I just wouldn't call it new.

Top Bottom