Easy to install rear mudguard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Bike is a hoy shizuoka.

In the past I have had LBS do it but thinking isn't this a job I should be able to do myself? If it is a faff for a newbie then I could still go to LBS.

See pics attached. I will probably replace the rack with a spare one since it has got bent somehow when the bike fell over.

I could just get an easy cheapo ass saver style one but guess full mudguards protect components too so may be false economy. But feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Can anyone link up or just advise really easy to install full rear mudguard? I have one on the front so only need rear.

I travel on canal cyclepaths etc and fed up of a brown stripe on my back and having to clean bike after each ride.

Attachments

• 20221119_145101.jpg
    20221119_145101.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 16

Ajax Bay

Guru
Definitely worth it for the type of riding described.
https://road.cc/content/review/97861-hoy-shizuoka-city-bike
I think I can see a mudguard boss behind and below where the rack support is secured on the dropouts. The other fastening points are on the seatstay bridge (a threaded hole) and there'll be another on the chainstay bridge, facing to the rear.
With those fitting a mudguard is straightforward, with the only complication the mudguard stay line on the left hand side to keep clear of the brake.
Those tyres look like 37mm wide (could be more). 45mm mudguards would do but you'd probably want to go for 55mm ones (limitation is the distance between the seatstays right up underneath the seatstay bridge).
Hope all that makes sense.

Petrichorwheels

ass savers always seem to me somewhat pathetic and a terrible con.
Some are truly ludicrous (IMHO)
I would do the job properly and get something from SKS.
And do it yourself.
Yes they are a bit of a pig to fit but take your time and once fitted you won't have to touch them and can even bodge repairs for years to come.
Re the other Beryl Burton thread, though often the fastest woman/person on two wheels, I gather she always used mudguards in winter.

And then you may as well keep them on unless you are trying to beat records.

Top Bottom