ebay question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With increasing Ebay seller fees, many sellers now use Ebay to get a valuation only. They put in a very high reserve which will not be met. They can then determine what the value of the item is likely to be, then sell it at that price on sites that do not charge sellers (eg Gumtree, Preloved etc.)

The deviousness of people to find loop-holes, in systems set up to be as fair as possible, never fails to astound me.
wacko.gif

You'd call it deviousness, I'd call it common sense and I'd disagree ebay is fair. Seems like a good way of avoiding the rip-off cost of using it TBH.

True, but I'm bidding on stuff I'm prepared to wait for getting at the right price, and at the moment don't have the nerve for last minute stuff - suppose my mobile broadband ran out at the critical moment!

There are websites you can use to snipe for you automatically. They are free if you are prepared to give someone else a chink to get back or you can get them to snipe even closer to the close time for a fee to close out that option. I think the free ones do it 7 seconds before. I have used it multiple time with success. Set up your max price, go away, come back when auction is ended to see if you won. When its sold within my price range I have never lost, when it goes above, I'm not tempted to increase my max which is always a slippery slope. And by not coming in early you don't tempt others to bid the price up. I use AuctionStealer

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Well, I am learning things about ebay now :smile:

I still cannot see the point of hiding a reserve, but at least I know they are expecting at least £50 (which is about £40 more than I am prepared to pay).

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
About the sniping ...

If I see something, a rug say, with no reserve and a starting price of £5, but I think it is worth £10, I can bid £10 but ebay will only show a bid of £5 until someone else bids, say £7, then my bid will automatically go to £8, etc...up to the point where my £10 bid is beaten, then I will drop out of the auction. What is the benefit of waiting until the last moment to bid the £10 - I cannot see where I am going to lose out....

About the sniping ...

If I see something, a rug say, with no reserve and a starting price of £5, but I think it is worth £10, I can bid £10 but ebay will only show a bid of £5 until someone else bids, say £7, then my bid will automatically go to £8, etc...up to the point where my £10 bid is beaten, then I will drop out of the auction. What is the benefit of waiting until the last moment to bid the £10 - I cannot see where I am going to lose out....

Because you are ratcheting the price up slowly giving people the chance to reconsider their maximum and push the price further than it would be if you came in at the last second.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Because you are ratcheting the price up slowly giving people the chance to reconsider their maximum and push the price further than it would be if you came in at the last second.

I sort of see what you mean, and I am sure you are right, but that is not the way my mind works.. I decide on a maximum, and that is that ..:smile:

Back when I was selling junk I saw a lot of times that someone had put a high maximum bid almost as soon as the item went up, then a sniper's bids at the last moment just failed to top that maximum. Now if there is something I want to buy I put my maximum bid plus a few pence or pounds* on right at the start and leave it.

*To get above the round figure that so many think in when setting sniping bids.

ohnovino

Large Member
About the sniping ...

In practice, a lot of buyers make incremental bids (just as they would in any other auction) rather than just bidding a maximum and leaving it alone.

So a rival bidder may think something's worth £20, but only put in a bid of £10. If you hold off until the last second you could win the item for £11, even though the rival would have been willing to go higher if they had the time.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I must be a sniper.

I watch the bidding and if it is going above what I think I want to pay I delete item from my watched list (unless I want to see what people will pay for something). If item is still looking affordable I wait till less than 1 min and go in with 1 bid, my maximum. If I win good, if not someone must have put in a higher max and they can have it.

I find it quite exciting waiting for that last minute then calmly (not rushing, so getting closer to end of bidding) entering my bid.

If you do this remember to make sure you are logged in as there is nothing worse than putting in your bid and finding out you need to log back in and this takes you past the end of bidding and you lose item.

Top Bottom