Ebike or Standard HT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikGriff

Good morning,

I am looking at getting myself back in the saddle, I have £2000 to spend with Cycle2Work from Halfords, I understand these can be used in other places sometimes.

I am torn between an eBike and a standard HT, I mainly commute to work but I do like a bit of cycle routes and the odd bit of off-road stuff,

Two I've see are:

Specialized Turbo Tero 3.0 2023

Merida Big Trail 700 2024

I'm a big guy, ~20 Stones I've had both types of bikes In the past but obviously want to get back in shape too, What would you guys recommend? I'm absolutely torn 😞

Thanks in advance!

Mick.

I can't comment on specific bikes as I don't know enough about them. But my general observation would be that you might find yourself more likely to ride regularly on an ebike than on a regular bike.
Maybe riding regularly on a fully human powered bike would build fitness quicker, but riding an ebike still gives you somewhat of a workout, especially if your route includes hills. And you might arrive at work feeling fresher than if you used a regular bike.
Assuming that your chosen ebike has different levels of power assistance, you can always reduce the power level as your bike fitness builds.

My one word of warning is: like with electric cars, don't believe that the quoted battery range of a bike is achievable in the real world.......

screenman

Legendary Member
Are you overweight? if so, getting back into shape starts in the kitchen, I do not own one, but I also think that an E-bike would get you out more often.

AndyRM

XOXO
Cycling isn't the most effective way to shift timber; as @screenman says, your first port of call is diet, so whichever bike you choose is whatever you feel most comfortable on.

Does HT here mean "human transmission"?

Top Bottom