Edge Explore suddenly displaying in foreign language !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Unplugged my Garmin edge explorer from charging - and everything is displayed in a foreign language !!!!!! - looks like German - anybody any idea how to change it back ?

Edit - it was dutch by sheer luck a language my son is learning so he sorted for me !

This ever happened to anyone else ?

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Wonder if the Explore has a few glitches, i have had a few issues with the GPS switching off. Another issue is uploading a track , almost instantly on a 520 but a few mins on the Explore.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Wonder if the Explore has a few glitches, i have had a few issues with the GPS switching off .

For sure it does - the auto on / off drives me bonkers (switching on when charging stops) - but Ive had it a good few years and never known this !!!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the charm of a Garmin, mine often decides I need different data on my screens to what I chose to display and randomly changes them.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
the charm of a Garmin, mine often decides I need different data on my screens to what I chose to display and randomly changes them.

This^^^^

The Garmins certainly have some quirks that take a bit of 'getting used to'..... My Edge Touring has a habit of switching route recalculation on every half-dozen rides or so, while also changing my screen data fields as @T4tomo says. This results in much hilarity when you get well into a long pre-planned ride in unknown territory then discover you are miles off the route because the Garmin has chosen to re-route you onto 'more suitable' cycle paths than the 'terrible' direct roads you had planned.

I think @ColinJ @Julia9054 experienced this a few years ago on one of the forum rides to scarborough when my garmin decided to divert us onto the bumpy, muddy forest trails of the forest near Dalby in preference to the roads as we approached the end of our trip and my name was 'literally' mud!

I now check the settings prior to setting off nearly everytime I use the Garmin, but this really shouldn't be necessary.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My Edge Touring has a habit of switching route recalculation on every half-dozen rides or so, while also changing my screen data fields as @T4tomo says. This results in much hilarity when you get well into a long pre-planned ride in unknown territory then discover you are miles off the route because the Garmin has chosen to re-route you onto 'more suitable' cycle paths than the 'terrible' direct roads you had planned.

Never had that, but mine is an old 800, so i don't believe it has that functionality in the first place, it just displays teh route I have uploaded and beeps if I deviate off it.

Does that happen even if you have just uploaded a route planned elsewhere on the newer models? I was thinking about an upgrade at some point to 1030 or similar

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This^^^^

The Garmins certainly have some quirks that take a bit of 'getting used to'..... My Edge Touring has a habit of switching route recalculation on every half-dozen rides or so, while also changing my screen data fields as @T4tomo says. This results in much hilarity when you get well into a long pre-planned ride in unknown territory then discover you are miles off the route because the Garmin has chosen to re-route you onto 'more suitable' cycle paths than the 'terrible' direct roads you had planned.

I think @ColinJ @Julia9054 experienced this a few years ago on one of the forum rides to scarborough when my garmin decided to divert us onto the bumpy, muddy forest trails of the forest near Dalby in preference to the roads as we approached the end of our trip and my name was 'literally' mud!

I now check the settings prior to setting off nearly everytime I use the Garmin, but this really shouldn't be necessary.

My Touring used to do the same.
I took time to set the data fields as to how I wanted it. All fine for a few rides, and then with no explanation it would reset it self back to standard whatever format it had originally. Not a huge pain but irritating never the less.

I now have an Explore and fingers crossed I've not come across that problem... yet

In regards to the routing, -re-routing is always switched off on my Garmin devices as a matter of course. Not had a problem yet with it switching back on.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To OP, you haven't accidentally touched the screen by accident ? The only thing I've had is when pausing for a break in a ride, like lunch, in the process of removing the Explore from the bike (to go get lunch) I've caught the screen and it's saved the ride. This has happened no matter how careful I've been. No biggie as I just reloaded the 'route' and it navigated from where I was.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Unplugged my Garmin edge explorer from charging - and everything is displayed in a foreign language !!!!!! - looks like German - anybody any idea how to change it back ?

Edit - it was dutch by sheer luck a language my son is learning so he sorted for me !

This ever happened to anyone else ?

It's a message from God - She's telling you to organise a tour in Germany.

She moves in mysterious ways, dontcha know.

Top Bottom