Edinburgh Bike's cycle maintenance course.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Went on this on Saturday and have to say I was very pleased with it and thought it taught me a lot.

I've been riding for about four years now and have picked up a fair amount of knowledge through trial and error, magazine articles and websites such as this so wasn't a total novice but we were learning stuff at every stage.

The day was appaling, weather-wise so we weren't missing much by being inside all day, and it is an all-day course. They run them once a month on both the Saturday and Sunday and it costs (I think) £45. For that, you take your own bike in and do a whole service yourself under expert tuition with top quality tools so in effect, even if you learn nowt (unlikely for the majority), you'll get a serviced, safe bike back!

It covers everything from the absolute basics such as puncture repair, right up to wheel trueing, hub maintenance, headseta checking and adjustment, bottom bracket checking and adjustment, crank removal and re-fitting brake and gear adjustments, the lot. The amazing thing is that all four of us on the course (4-5 being the ideal class size) were learning tips even on the basics such as puncture repairs which we all thought we knew everything about.

All in all, it was well worthwhile and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Went on it myself yesterday in Manchester. 5 people in total (1 left at dinner due to a double booking) so not too many to actually get the mechanic's attention when required.

Had a nice mix of bikes - 1 x MTB with Disk brakes, 1 x older model Bianchi tourer, 2 x Spesh Allez Elite (1 used daily, the other only having done 20 miles in 2 months) and 1 x hybrid - so got to see a few different types of fittings and listen to answers about different components etc.

All in all most of the stuff I'd hope to never have to mess with (BB, rear cassette, headset etc.) but it was useful to see each taken apart and to get an idea of what/how damage occurrs and manifests itself so you know what to watch for.

The mechanic was good and very helpful, and the bunch of people on the course all seemed to get on well. Highly recommended from me. :smile:

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
The mechanic was good and very helpful, and the bunch of people on the course all seemed to get on well. Highly recommended from me. :rolleyes:

Was it Lee? He was telling me when he was packing away on Saturday that he was doing the one on Sunday. If so, I thought for a young lad, he did very well indeed and certainly knew his onions.

charliesurf

PaulB said:
Went on this on Saturday and have to say I was very pleased with it and thought it taught me a lot.

I've been riding for about four years now and have picked up a fair amount of knowledge through trial and error, magazine articles and websites such as this so wasn't a total novice but we were learning stuff at every stage.

The day was appaling, weather-wise so we weren't missing much by being inside all day, and it is an all-day course. They run them once a month on both the Saturday and Sunday and it costs (I think) £45. For that, you take your own bike in and do a whole service yourself under expert tuition with top quality tools so in effect, even if you learn nowt (unlikely for the majority), you'll get a serviced, safe bike back!

It covers everything from the absolute basics such as puncture repair, right up to wheel trueing, hub maintenance, headseta checking and adjustment, bottom bracket checking and adjustment, crank removal and re-fitting brake and gear adjustments, the lot. The amazing thing is that all four of us on the course (4-5 being the ideal class size) were learning tips even on the basics such as puncture repairs which we all thought we knew everything about.

All in all, it was well worthwhile and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I am going to book this course it sounds a winner. Can I ask if you got any diagrams or pictures etc to take home as my memory is like a ....one of those kitchen utensil things with holes in em, what they called again.

Seriously though is there any handouts ?

Thanks

charliesurf said:
I am going to book this course it sounds a winner. Can I ask if you got any diagrams or pictures etc to take home as my memory is like a ....one of those kitchen utensil things with holes in em, what they called again.

Seriously though is there any handouts ?

Thanks

Yes, you get a booklet with some pictures and explanations which iis a nice guide.

I'm just looking at getting a workstand just now. Ribble have a sale on....;)

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm going to get a stand, too and I'll wait until the January sale when Edinburgh's complete tool kit in a box is reduced to £25 according to Lee!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
magnatom said:
Yes, you get a booklet with some pictures and explanations which iis a nice guide.

I'm just looking at getting a workstand just now. Ribble have a sale on....:rolleyes:
Thanks for that, Mags... looks like I'm off for a bit of surfing over there... :laugh:

Hugo15

Über Member
PaulB said:
Yes, I'm going to get a stand, too and I'll wait until the January sale when Edinburgh's complete tool kit in a box is reduced to £25 according to Lee!

They usually have their workstand reduced down to £50 (normally £80) in the sale too. I got one last year when I went on the course.

Hugo15

Über Member
I was looking through the EBC winter catalogue the other day and a full service is £89 and even a basic service is £49. Makes the maintenance course at £45 a real bargain.

Top Bottom