Edinburgh Cycles Revolution Tool Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheule

Hiya folks, another question :blush:

Several forum members have recommended the Revolution Tool Kit as a good starting point for cycle maintenance vs cost. I'm just about to press the "buy" button but before I do, some things spring to mind....

1) What are the two blue dumbbell-shaped things at the bottom of the kit?

2) My bike needs a total strip-down. Would this kit allow me to remove the BB and the rear hub/cassette? Both are shot.

Thanks in advance for any help <---- Still very much in the n00b stage with maintenance. Go easy :tongue:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
That's the basic kit I started off with. The y-shaped allen keys are nice to use, but you'll need ordinary L-shaped ones as well because there'll be certain bolts you can't get to with them. A toolkit that claims to have "all the bicycle tools you might ever require" should really have a cable-cutter in, and this one doesn't. The crank-puller was a bit crap - I've broken mine and got a Park Tools one instead - there's also one of those funny little top hats for octalink cranks. The chainwhip is a bit basic. It's got tools to remove cassette lockrings and Shimano bottom brackets. The dumbell things are utterly useless plastic drawers that assume you will wall-mount the case, which in itself is rather crappy. All that doesn't sound like a rave review, but I'm pretty happy with most of the bits from it, which have been well-used over about five years. There are a few things in it I use a helluva lot. It's a handy way to acquire all those little tools you'd never get round to buying singly until you needed them, but needs supplementing with a few heavier-duty things in the long term...

battered

Guru
A mate has one and brought it round to mine so I could give him a hand servicing his bike. The tools are, well, *all right*. Not great, but not absolutely crap. The new type bottom bracket spanner scratched his bearing cups however careful I was (to be fair I think this was something he hasd to buy separately), the chain breaker broke and we had to use mine instead, but the rest was OK.

It's a decent starter at modest price, but Park Tools it's not. The Lidl/Aldi tool kits are as good IME, not that I have tried the bike specific tools, just the general ones.

siadwell

Guru
Might be worth holding on for a couple of days if you still want to go for it - I think EBC have a sale starting Saturday and IIRC this kit was reduced last time.

kyuss

Veteran
The Lidl/Aldi tool kits are as good IME....
Not tried the Revolution kit, but I built my first bike using the Lidl kit (and another 3 bikes after that). Some of it is a bit crap, the chain splitter spoke key and tyre levers in particular, but as long as you're not building bikes for a living it's about as much as you'll need for regular maintenance (unless of course you have anything other than a shimano square taper BB, in which case you'll need a BB tool for whatever you're running). Having looked at the Revolution kit in the shop a few times it looks a bit better quality than the Lidl kit.

Yes wait unlit Saturday when the sale starts... ;)
+1. Got the newsletter through the post the other day. Not sure I'd pay the full £45 for it, but starting Saturday it's down to £29.99. Can't go wrong at that. Even if you have to supplement it with a few more modern tools, it's a good starting point IMO.

OP
OP
Cheule

Cheule

I'm glad I posted now, had no idea about the sale :smile:

It's funny you mention square taper BB's, I don't know what's on there currently but I do need a square tapered BB as my new crankset requires it.

amos

Is that price right? £5499.99 :ohmy:

In terms of a sale, the Revolution Tune Up Tool Kit is currently (Friday Evening) showing as reduced to £29.99.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

I have this kit myself. It's ok but not fantastic - you get what you pay for I suppose and it's got a pretty decent variety of tools. The blue dumbells are infact sliding compartments for keeping nuts and bolts etc :smile:

OP
OP
Cheule

Cheule

Excellent. I'm at work right now but as soon as I get in ill order one - then I can get on with stripping the CBR down :smile:

Thanks for the money saving tips :smile:

Coming soon: another thread from me, this time centering on BB, front and rear mech choices :smile:

Top Bottom