Egypt on 2 Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cycled down through Egypt on my way to Khartoum, during the late 1980,s and had a great tour, but as Georgina said I found the roads quite exciting at times well frankly dangerous, also I found as you approached some villages the kids threw stones at you, at others they offered food and hospitality. but it was a very interesting trip.

Galal has successfully completed the first of nine stages of his trip. He stayed a couple of days in El Gouna meeting with the local Rotary Club and International School. A film crew for Al Nahar TV channel arrived too but I didn't see the results and can't find a link yet to the Arabic program that was aired. The aim of his trip is to highlight the diversity and beauty of Egypt and inspire the younger generation to step outside the box and follow their dreams. He has now traveled by boat across to Sharm to cover the Sinai for stage 2.

He is a charming guy and I wish him every success. I didn't get to see his bike as it was in storage at the hotel. It is an American Novara he has named 'Sophia' and it has an English Brook's leather saddle. When he is in the desert areas with an excess of 100 km between towns he carries a total weight of up to 70 kg with 10 litres of water, camping equipment and tinned food. He has an emergency support team in Cairo that track him live by GPS.

Here is a teaser he has made for his trip:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyYyBz6xwPw&list=UUxHjdqEgudA8ScWFMhcDkdA

Galal is still going strong. From Hurghada he crossed by sea to the Sinai to Sharm, Dahab, and St Catherine's. Then up via Suez, Port Said and the Nile Delta to the north coast of Egypt. He then headed 400km south to Siwa oasis.

His Facebook page is the best way to follow his journey.

And it has been very cold! Around zero degrees at night in the desert.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Chapeau!! We hired bikes in Egypt many, many years ago. And got stoned by the kids in the next door village.
I have, strangely enough, no great hankering to go back to Egypt.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Chapeau!! We hired bikes in Egypt many, many years ago. And got stoned by the kids in the next door village.
Kids???? You were lucky!
We had grown men throwing them at us in Mexico. Strangely enough, I'm not going back either.

In the mid 1980, I was stuck in Cairo waiting to get my Sudanese Visa. I decided to cycle out to the Pyramids, as I approached the Pyramids some of the local teen guys were musing themselves by throwing big stones at the passing Cars, asI cycled past bang, bloody great brick took out two front wheel spokes, Lucky I had tools and spare spokes 2with me so I replaced them as I rested by the Pyramids, when I left to return into town, the teens were still throwing stones, and as I received a hail of stones jumped off the Bike and chased the group. Much to their surprise this old fellow was far fitter than them, I was amusing to be running alongside the leader of the group as he went into Oxygen debt, gave me great pleasure to give him a good hard smack on his ear, which dropped him. All the locals thought it was great fun and clapped and cheered me.
I found it a very interesting country to ride through. I gather it not so easy now to for a European ride south through Egypt by oneself these days due to worries of being attacked by terrorist..

Having lived here full time since 2004, and traveled all over the country, I feel completely safe here, always have done. I am not interested in touring long distances on my bicycle. Now living in the UK, after all this time would be a scary. I own a house in Guildford, Surrey which has been rented out all this time. I have just looked at the crime figures http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Neighbourhood/Surrey_Police/Guildford_Town

Now that is scary!!

Top Bottom