"Either way, the pothole was undoubtedly to blame."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
michaelrmgreen said:

Really not enough info to judge, but seems unlikely to me. I hope his widow/family sue the council if it is true.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's a bit of a selective statement. It's true, the pothole was undoubtedly the reason he wobbled or swerved, and therefore is partly 'to blame' - but without knowing how close the lorry was, and how much he swerved, it's hard to know how much 'to blame'. But unless he swerved by 2 or 3 metres, it would seem the vehicle was passing too closely...

I saw that story a few days ago; its a tragedy, say what you like about the war its still a tragedy.

Not great editing though; the picture caption suggest it was a motorcycle accident and head on rather than a bicycle hit from the rear. I'm maybe being OTT but I just think it shows a lack of interest in the paper.

Arch said:
It's a bit of a selective statement. It's true, the pothole was undoubtedly the reason he wobbled or swerved, and therefore is partly 'to blame' - but without knowing how close the lorry was, and how much he swerved, it's hard to know how much 'to blame'. But unless he swerved by 2 or 3 metres, it would seem the vehicle was passing too closely...

It could well be that the lorry was passing too closely. But it could also easily be that he didn't see the pothole and it threw him off the bike into the path of the truck. Either way, a very sad case. And HLaB is right, the person who wrote the picture caption does seem confused about what actually happened.

A great tragedy, and it's impossible to say how much the pothole contributed to this. But I know what havoc potholes can wreak.

I have my fair share of potholes left behind by the recent frosts. As many as anywhere, possibly worse than some areas.

To do the Council some credit, they have a few days ago completely re-surfaced one of the worst offender roads on my commute. Not just a patch-up job, they stripped down the complete road surface and re-tarmaced. That should nail the problem. But it's just one road, among many. I don't know whether the re-surface was scheduled long before, or perhaps brought forward because of the appalling state of that road (it's the spine road of a big industrial estate, so commercially important). But at least it's one job done.

Top Bottom