Electric bike for 78 year old woman - any advice, pointers or good websites, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mandragora

It's the cycling. If I suggested a mobility scooter she'd honestly kill me, and find the strength in her arms to do it if necessary, but thanks for the thought anyway! She walks the legs off me any time we go away together, and I'd say I'm pretty fit.

It's the cycling. If I suggested a mobility scooter she'd honestly kill me, and find the strength in her arms to do it if necessary, but thanks for the thought anyway! She walks the legs off me any time we go away together, and I'd say I'm pretty fit.
I think that's right. Most people don't want one of those until they need it, plus the adage "use it, or lose it" applies. The longer she keeps moving, the longer she'll be able to keep moving.

And it's quite possible she'll never go through a stage where one would be useful to her. Neither of my parents could have used one.

Steady

Über Member
my mates mum has a viking e.bike, she bumped into her friend (70yo) shopping and she was riding one and offerd me mates mum ago n she loved it and ordered one the next day!

I know the OP has now decided against the idea of an e-bike, but the Viking is a very "cheap" way to dabble in e-bikes, and fantastic value, I think Tesco still sell them.

The Viking e-go gets re-branded a lot, Sports Direct sold off their versions for £250 in the Summer and my Dad (78yrs old) picked one up.

He at time was a daily cyclist of low mileage to the allotment etc and beginning to feel it, and beginning to feel his slow speed and the impatience of driving was getting to a point where he felt forced off the road. Once he got the e-bike he was back to doing the odd longer casual ride with me and the allotment trips were a lot easier for him, he hasn't looked back since getting one!

I worried about him being on the e-bike, but he took to it like riding it without issue, and made me feel silly for every worrying about it. His balance can be poor, and whilst the bike is 21kg heavy (and heavier when he throws a trailer on for the allotment) he never had any maneuverability issues. The only concern I ever had about it, which he adjusted to well being used to motorbikes was that the brakes were viciously sharp!

Unfortunately he's now had two major operations, but plans to get back on the bike, which I think if he didn't have the e-bike he wouldn't consider it at all and would have gave up riding.

Top Bottom