electric shock like pain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongrant

Hi All,
Went out early this morning doing one of my usual loops,this one was 21miles,nothing unusual on the ride,very uneventfull.Anyway all day i have been getting what i can only describe as little electric shock type pains just above the ankle bone on my right leg.They have been roughly every 20 minutes or so and last maybe 3-5 seconds each time.It leaves no pain at all after the 3-5 seconds,its really a weird sensation,it hurts but at the same time sort of tickles(the pain is on the inside not on the skin if you know what i mean),similar to when you hit your funny bone.Any ideas what it may be and what could have caused it,like i said the ride was normal,shoes/clothes etc same as normal.

Thanks

Simon

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Please be aware that I have no medical training whatsoever, but I have had similar symptoms with a trapped nerve, although not in my ankle. Might be good idea to speak to your medicine man.

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Thanks gerry,mrs reckons a trapped nerve,if its there tommorow i will get booked into the med man like you say,although must be at least 10 years since ive been lol

Simon

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Hi,
All is fine today whatever it was has gone.Guess it was a trapped nerve like you suggested gerry,had a day off the bike today just as a precaution and will see how we go on the bike in the AM

Simon

Simon

I've had similar with my wrists and forearms. It's always when I'm on my flat-barred bike, so I guess it's nerve related. Is it possible that your shoes (or something) are constricting your foot?

ASC1951

Guru
Chuffy said:
I've had similar with my wrists and forearms. It's always when I'm on my flat-barred bike, so I guess it's nerve related.
I had that too, but mine was muscular. Physio sorted it out in a couple of weeks with this exercise:-
- sit in an armchair and rest your forearm along the armrest with the wrist knuckle in line with the end i.e. with the whole wrist free;
- hold a suitable object (a full 16oz bean/soup/whatever tin is ideal) lengthways between thumb and little finger;
- drop the wrist to full extension then raise to full extension;
- repeat until the arm has had enough, then swap to the other arm.

I've never had the problem since.

OP
OP
simongrant

simongrant

Chuffy said:
I've had similar with my wrists and forearms. It's always when I'm on my flat-barred bike, so I guess it's nerve related. Is it possible that your shoes (or something) are constricting your foot?

It could have been the shoe i suppose,when i first got my road shoes a while ago i would fasten the straps too tight(dhb r1's)and after about 3 miles of riding i was getting severe pain down the outsides of the feet.Asked around and was told to slacken them right off as your feet swell soon after you start riding,did this and had no probs since,maybe i had the right shoe ever so slightly tighter than normal although the pain was nowhere near the same as when i first had them tight.I will keep my eye on it and hopefully i just trapped a nerve and it was a one off ;)

Cheers

Simon

ps i also run my glove straps very loose too as this can cause the same trouble in the hands.

Top Bottom