Elswick Hopper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Bought this Elswick Hopper a few weeks ago & today was the first ride, after a few modifications.
full.jpg

Swapped the pedals for Shimano A520 spd pedals, fit a set of Mavic Aksium wheels that I had hanging in the garage. I've fit a 7 speed cassette, but the rear mech wont move over onto largest sprocket at all & on the smallest there's insufficient clearance against frame, so it's still running as a 5 speed block ^_^ Not too fussed as I wasn't after more gears, just wanted to use these wheels. & I've removed the suicide levers :okay:
full.jpg

It was nice riding without a speedo/gps unit, recorded ride on strava with my phone in my pocket & was surprised at the speed, did 21 miles with an average speed of nearly 18mph. The bike performed well, less rattles than my 3 year old Kinesis :blush: Not an exciting ride by any means though, setting off from a junction I got out of the saddle & the bike was rather unresponsive, or was that my tired legs ? :laugh:
The brakes are absolutely shocking though :ohmy: Was planning on new brake levers & cables, but think an upgrade is a necessity now. There's a bike jumble local next month, so might hang on & see what's there, But reckon the bike will be good for summer commuting & other short rides. Toyed with fitted mudguards, but have guards fitted on 3 other bikes, so if it's wet I'm already covered with other options. Not much ££ outlay so far & reckon it will have paid for itself in no time :okay:

Doesn't seem to be too much info online on this brand, but from the frame number I have found that it was built in October 1980 by Miki of Sakai Japan. So much for buying a locally made British bike :laugh:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Soltydog that looks good and glad you are enjoying it
Only one question why are you worried about brakes ?

Top Bottom