Elswick Stag restoration project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The video shows someone taking a similar one apart with the correct tools, but back in the day some owners would take them apart using a screw driver and a hammer and chewed up slots weren't uncommon.

Thanks I remember trying to service a cup & cone BB on a Halfords BSO MTB as one of the first bits of maintenance I did in about 2008. Individual ball bearings all over the floor and teflon grease all over my hands and furniture!
Will see how this one runs after the rebuild before sourcing the proper tool or getting my hammer and screwdriver out again but when I tried to follow that approach yesterday it didn't seem like it was going to budge.

This morning I sympathetically restored the front brake calliper. If I have time later on I will probably re fit the front brake lever and install new cabling. I did speculatively size up a 105 silver calliper but as expected the drop is not sufficient for a 27 inch rim. I may yet convert to 700's and fit these modern brakes but would like to try the 27 inch wheels and retain as much of the original gubbins as possible. Although there is no way I am using the brake pads this came with. Will be putting proper pads on there, safety over historical accuracy...

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks I remember trying to service a cup & cone BB on a Halfords BSO MTB as one of the first bits of maintenance I did in about 2008. Individual ball bearings all over the floor and teflon grease all over my hands and furniture!
Will see how this one runs after the rebuild before sourcing the proper tool or getting my hammer and screwdriver out again but when I tried to follow that approach yesterday it didn't seem like it was going to budge.

This morning I sympathetically restored the front brake calliper. If I have time later on I will probably re fit the front brake lever and install new cabling. I did speculatively size up a 105 silver calliper but as expected the drop is not sufficient for a 27 inch rim. I may yet convert to 700's and fit these modern brakes but would like to try the 27 inch wheels and retain as much of the original gubbins as possible. Although there is no way I am using the brake pads this came with. Will be putting proper pads on there, safety over historical accuracy...
700c is smaller than 27" so you'll need longer drop brakes.
27" is 630mm
700c is 622mm

so there only 4mm extra drop to take up.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
700c is smaller than 27" so you'll need longer drop brakes.
27" is 630mm
700c is 622mm

so there only 4mm extra drop to take up.
Yep I know, that’s why I reverted to the original shimano tourney brakes of death, but the front one that I have overhauled so far does seem like it may be a bit more effective now I have swapped out the shoes and pads for some old KS salmons I had lying around. Will give the rims a thorough clean too before I test ride it. I had considered trying to file a longer slot in my 105 callipers but it seems a shame to damage them and not convinced I would have enough length even after the procedure, so to speak…

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Looks very similar to an Elswick Hopper I bought about 3 years ago. Mine was in VGC for the age & I didn't pay much, I've only ridden it a handful of times & with hindsight I should have cashed in during lockdown last year :rolleyes:
Good luck with the restoration 👍
full?d=1550438058.jpg

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
This morning's glamorous tasks have been overhauling the gear levers (just a bit of a clean up really) and everybody's favourite - cleaning the 40 year old crud out of jockey wheels :rolleyes:
Seatpost and chain are due to arrive today, rear mech is cleaned up as much as viable and back on the bike along with new gear cable. Will hopefully get a chance to do the front later on and then it just leaves wheels and bar tape - should be able to test ride it at the weekend....

jockey.jpg

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I think I am done! I could go the whole hog and spend some more etc but I have overhauled most of it and it's in a working condition now.
Splashed out on New tyres, seat post, saddle, chain, bar tape and of course all cables. Replaced pedals and brake pads with known working items. Unfortunately haven't been able to test ride it and likely won't happen until maybe Sunday or later. Anyway this is how it looks now...

Complete.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think I am done! I could go the whole hog and spend some more etc but I have overhauled most of it and it's in a working condition now.
Splashed out on New tyres, seat post, saddle, chain, bar tape and of course all cables. Replaced pedals and brake pads with known working items. Unfortunately haven't been able to test ride it and likely won't happen until maybe Sunday or later. Anyway this is how it looks now...

View attachment 618391
With that amount of seat post I presume that it's a bit small for you

Top Bottom